SPD pedal inserts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weeeck42

Hi all,

This is the first time I have used the forum and this question may have an answer out there so bear with me.
On my cannondale m1000 mountain bike I have shimano XT SPD pedals and i want to know if i can get an "insert" to fit the pedal so if i want to use the bike with trainers on for running to the shops etc i don't have to swap my pedal to my platform ones. I know you can get a double sided pedal (one spd one flat) however i have a set of platform pedals and i'm not looking to spent to much cash.

Hope you can help with an idea, name and where i can get them.

cheers

Alex

bumsteer

Macka

Thinking out loud, so this may seem quite quite daft but may spawn some other ideas.
How about a piece of plastic/ rubber covered wood (i.e. some plate platform) or an old pedal and attach the cleats to this.
Will give you a flat platform on top of the existing pedal.
Not sure how it would ride/feel, as I say just initial thoughts.

OP
OP
W

weeeck42

Thanks for the replys, i had thought about making a plate with an old cleat on the bottom, however was unsure if plywood would be A. strong enough and B. a bit slippy when wet. Cheers for the ideas. Alex

RedBike

Whern you buy a set of spd pedals they come with something very similar to that platform plate attached.

Everyone always removes and bins this plate but someone might go to the trouble of posting them to you if you ask around nicely.

PK99

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
Whern you buy a set of spd pedals they come with something very similar to that platform plate attached.

I asked exactly this question in my LBS.

The plastic inserts you refer to are there to make the bike comply with the legal requirement for pedal reflectors at point of sale. Put them on and off a couple of times and the plastic cleat will break/round off

02GF74

Über Member
home made platform sounds nice in theory but it will be a bugger to get off when clipped, as anyone wh has aver clipped in a shoe whilst not wearing it would know.

pedalpusher

Try these

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/

They go with the M520 and M540 pedals (I think) - Shimano technical pdfs will tell you. Not too hard to twist off either - make sure your pedals' cleat retainers are loosened and put on a pair of rigger or gardener's gloves and it's easy enough.

The good thing about these is that they are light, but due to the size compared to the 520s/540 pedal bodies, they flip the pedal over so that it's always cleat side up. Obviously when you want flatties you need to flip the pedal over with your toe.

Top Bottom