SPD Pedals, Reflectors and the Law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Being singled out as a cyclist is not always the best thing, espcially if you are moving at speeds that are closer to that of mopeds and motorbikes rather than the typical granny with her shopping going home up a hill.

As for being seen as a cyclist, this isn't always the best thing. Sometimes it's better to be thought of as a powered two wheeler rather than a bicycle.
I think that's an urban (you) vs rural (me) thing. The funny thing being I can top 30mph and still get overtaken on the blind bend with the double whites. Where's my camera!

PS I'd say identified not singled out

Dan B

Disengaged member
Ordinarily I would agree wholeheartedly with the "nobody is ever going to care" viewpoint in previous posts. But I just read this article: http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/...er___I_just_didn_t_see_the_bloke_/?ref=twtrec
Forensic collision investigator PC James Henderson told jurors visibility was “good” and tests showed the bike would have been first seen from 174 metres, giving 6.5 seconds reaction time. The pedals were not fitted with amber reflective strips as legally required after sunset – it was 9.05pm.

Police vehicle examiner Phil Balderstone said the bike’s light had probably been on at the time of the crash but was faulty because it had been damaged.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Hmm, a lot of interesting theories have been passed around this post.

If I can find some of that tape which zacklaws has suggested then I think I'll buy some (not show how I would fit it though) otherwise I'll stick with the ankle bands.

Thanks for the replies, more than I expected for this type of thread.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@gaz ok, I took decent as meaning not a £3 from Tesco set.

I'm not keen on being seen as a powered 2 wheeler, different closing speeds and all that. I'm totally happy for a driver closing in on me to be as fully informed as possible as to what I am and how quickly I'm likely to be travelling in relation to them.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
@gaz ok, I took decent as meaning not a £3 from Tesco set.

I'm not keen on being seen as a powered 2 wheeler, different closing speeds and all that. I'm totally happy for a driver closing in on me to be as fully informed as possible as to what I am and how quickly I'm likely to be travelling in relation to them.
With peoples dominant thoughts of cyclists as being a slow road user, and with our speed varying hugely depending on fitness, terrain and weather. It may be best that they don't single us out straight away as being a road user that is going 10mph, as many people believe that is alway we can achieve. Where as if they can't tell what kind of road user we are, but we are clearly visible, then they are more likely to pay attention and approach us slower.

This is at least my experience, and at night I will regularly run zero flashing lights on certain roads to use this effect to my advantage.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
With peoples dominant thoughts of cyclists as being a slow road user, and with our speed varying hugely depending on fitness, terrain and weather. It may be best that they don't single us out straight away as being a road user that is going 10mph, as many people believe that is alway we can achieve. Where as if they can't tell what kind of road user we are, but we are clearly visible, then they are more likely to pay attention and approach us slower.

This is at least my experience, and at night I will regularly run zero flashing lights on certain roads to use this effect to my advantage.
A well reasoned argument. Feels like it is more applicable to an urban setting where, generally, the speed differential between vehicle and cyclist is less than, say an NSL rural SC, where the fittest strongest rider will be travelling 30mph less than the vehicles.

I particularly like, and implement, the no flashing lights at night point though. The off phases just give people the chance to forget our presence.;)

Reactions: gaz

Dan B

Disengaged member
I put flashing lights on the rear and constant on the front because I would like drivers behind me to consider that I might be going slowly and drivers in front of me (e.g. crossing my path or waiting at side roads) to consider that I might not be going slowly

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry about it. Your shoes probably have reflectors at the heal anyway.

Ady_E

I've ridden bikes without pedal reflectors day and night most of my life (I'm 43) without issue from the authorities or insurers in times of crisis. However, recently, a letter was issued to all cyclists using the Torpoint Ferry (between Devonport, Plymouth and Torpoint, Cornwall) reminding them of their responsibilities as road users, which was all very one sided if you ask me but that open to debate in another thread maybe.

In this letter, various cycle related issues were discussed and one of them was a reminder of the legal requirement to have amber penal reflectors fitted to a machine manufactured after 1985. I find myself here during my research into the the issue of fitting such devices to SPD pedals.

The first thing that strikes me as odd is that, if they are even available, they're an 'optional extra'. Well excuse me! Isn't this a 'legal requirement' or not? Secondly, the solutions to this issue that I have seen have been afterthoughts to the problem rather than designs in harmony with the pedals themselves. It's almost as if Shimano didn't figure the legal requirement when designing their pedals. Or, maybe they just thought that SPDs fitted to off-road machines negating the requirement to have them fitted. Maybe they didn't figure how popular these pedals would become amongst commuters. Who knows.

One thing is for sure, if these are a legal requirement, manufacturers should ensure that the provision to fit them is catered for so that a cyclist can remain within the law if they choose to do so.

crazyjoe101

I've ridden bikes without pedal reflectors day and night most of my life (I'm 43) without issue from the authorities or insurers in times of crisis. However, recently, a letter was issued to all cyclists using the Torpoint Ferry (between Devonport, Plymouth and Torpoint, Cornwall) reminding them of their responsibilities as road users, which was all very one sided if you ask me but that open to debate in another thread maybe.

In this letter, various cycle related issues were discussed and one of them was a reminder of the legal requirement to have amber penal reflectors fitted to a machine manufactured after 1985. I find myself here during my research into the the issue of fitting such devices to SPD pedals.

The first thing that strikes me as odd is that, if they are even available, they're an 'optional extra'. Well excuse me! Isn't this a 'legal requirement' or not? Secondly, the solutions to this issue that I have seen have been afterthoughts to the problem rather than designs in harmony with the pedals themselves. It's almost as if Shimano didn't figure the legal requirement when designing their pedals. Or, maybe they just thought that SPDs fitted to off-road machines negating the requirement to have them fitted. Maybe they didn't figure how popular these pedals would become amongst commuters. Who knows.

One thing is for sure, if these are a legal requirement, manufacturers should ensure that the provision to fit them is catered for so that a cyclist can remain within the law if they choose to do so.

Spot on. It's a bit lazy really, they know that their "off road" pedals are going to be used on road and a better solution than blocking half of your double sided pedals should be available really. The 'trivial' nature of the law should not be relevant, the principle is that it should be just as easy for us to make a bicycle 'road worthy' as it is for any other road user to make their vehicle of choice road worthy. If that includes being able to clip an orange thing on without obstructing normal use then so be it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
As with lights, the British laws are ignored and we get whatever is good for the rest of the world. If the law was ever enforced, there may be a big enough market to warrant a special UK model of something, but as it's not the manufacturers don't bother.

I use Shimano PD-T780 SPD/Flat with proper reflectors on one bike, and make do with reflective ankle bands on the other.

Tyke

If you can be seen in the dark with good lights BS or not it will never be a problem for the police. It may be for the insurance as a way out if you put in a claim they can say your lights are not standard or no reflectors so no payout but I think its better to use the ones that work not the ones that are BS

buggi

Bird Saviour
well as the law stands, i think my 2 extremely bright lights back and front, reflective piping on my tights, reflective bits on my shoes, hi viz ankle wraps (which combined instigated this comment from a driving colleague... "my god, you are well visible" ... after they drove past me) far outstrip any BS standard required by law, so I'd like to see any insurance company take me on in court to reduce my compensation.
well, maybe not, coz that would mean I'd been hit off, but you know what i mean.

i think the more worrying thing is the CTCs report into bad investigating, including the disposal of evidence. I suppose they can't dispose of your pedals!!
wearing ankle straps is far easier than faffing around trying to get reflectors on SPuDs tho

Top Bottom