SPD Pedals, Reflectors and the Law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Since upgrading to SPD pedals about a month ago, I haven't yet needed to go out on them at night. If I do however need to, since they don't have amber reflectors then technically I would be breaking the law.

Now, I know that the chances of being pulled over for not having them is very, very slim but it's still going to be worth it for the greater visibility, and in case of a collision for insurance purposes.

As you probably know, most SPDs and SPD-SLs don't have amber reflectors mounted, and mounting them is very difficult. I own a pair of Shimano SPD Mountain Bike (E-PDM540) pedals but Shimano don't sell a kit to add reflectors to these models.
Does anyone have any alternative methods to mounting reflectors, has anyone ever had any issues with the law or insurance companies for not having them, what do others do and would I get away with wearing reflective ankle bracelets instead?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The chances are not slim, they are zero.
I can bet my life on the fact that no one has ever been pulled up by the Police for not having pedal reflectors. Forget them and wear your ankle bands if you are that much worried about it.

It was not even on mine or the other party's insurers radar when I had a coming together with a (Police) vehicle.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As long as you have something reflective on your shoe (as all cycle shoes do have) then you're complying with the spirit of the law, if not the letter.
Likelihood of being pulled for it? You're more likely to win the lottery.

musa

Über Member
Dont forget the bell and the reflectors too

:yawn:

Most bikes dont leave shops in that case. The bells, reflectors pedals are thrown in the bin

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There's no doubt that something decently reflective for pedals/feet/ankles does make you quite a lot more visible. Reflectives on the body are often above the beam of dipped headlights, and don't move and catch the eye the same.

Shoe reflectives are mostly not very effective once the shoe has been worn for a while.
The clip on reflector platforms that you can get for one side of double-sided MTB pedals are not all that durable, especially if you remove them much.
The Shimano PD-T780 platform/SPD pedal is quite good.
Ankle bands are also good, but easily forgotten. I like the Respro ones.

One bike has the PD-T780s on, with the others I normally use ankle bands.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It will be fairly easy to argue that a decent set of lights out weighs the need for reflector pedals. Any driver that can't see a light on the back or front of a bicycle is probably not going to notice pedal reflectors.

zacklaws

Guru
Years ago I used to adorn my old Raleigh with Solas reflective tape patches and it would glow like a beacon in the dark when any light was shone on it, but cannot bring myself to do the same to my best bikes today. But I have often thought about sticking some of the amber or orange Solas tape on my pedals if they make it that is, and I have a feeling they dont, if not some other make. One day I may get round to it. It is pricey, but you do not need much and very hard wearing, maybe only six inches would be more than enough for the pedals and a bag, but Solas is the best stuff I have seen. I used to get yard long strips from a ships chandlers, but it does crop up on Ebay and even Amazon

Davidc

Guru
Not just SPD pedals, the law's just impossible to comply with with some pedals.

Because the moving reflectors are a good idea I use slap-wraps round the ankles at night. Double up as trouser clips too.

The bikes have 3M spoke reflectors, and various pieces of 3M reflective sticky tape on them, as well as good lighting so the likelihood of being picked up for not complying with the letter of the law is zero.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It will be fairly easy to argue that a decent set of lights out weighs the need for reflector pedals. Any driver that can't see a light on the back or front of a bicycle is probably not going to notice pedal reflectors.
Normally I'd agree* but last winter, when driving, shocking I know, I found I could see pedal reflectors screaming 'CYCLIST' at me when lights were either less than decent or, more often, just badly aligned.

I'm a big fan of the new Shimano Click'R pedals. Double sided SPD with built in reflectors out of the box.

*on the basis that, in truth, if they ain't lookin' they ain't gonna see you no matter what

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not just SPD pedals, the law's just impossible to comply with with some pedals.

Because the moving reflectors are a good idea I use slap-wraps round the ankles at night. Double up as trouser clips too.

The bikes have 3M spoke reflectors, and various pieces of 3M reflective sticky tape on them, as well as good lighting so the likelihood of being picked up for not complying with the letter of the law is zero.
The likelihood of getting picked up is zero regardless.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Round ours it is a daily campaign against the "scourge" of pavement cyclists. Ladies on shopping bikes and yoofs on BMXs/ Using a patrol car that was... ahem... illegally parked when I stuck my beak in. Meanwhile 6 people died on local roads last month in RTC's. You couldn't make Sussex Police up if you tried.

Davidc

Guru
Round ours it is a daily campaign against the "scourge" of pavement cyclists. Ladies on shopping bikes and yoofs on BMXs/ Using a patrol car that was... ahem... illegally parked when I stuck my beak in. Meanwhile 6 people died on local roads last month in RTC's. You couldn't make Sussex Police up if you tried.
I used to live in Hove in the 1980s - clearly nothing's changed there.

Here it's done differently but the application of effort to cycling isn't very intelligent. The only sensible bit I've seen recently was RLJer stopping (of cars and bikes).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
hmmmm. bad alignment. failing batteries, jacket or rack use obscuring lights, bad roads and cruddy mounts seeing lights fly off mid ride and the fact, like hi viz vest tops, they are used by others than just cyclists. as are reflective tabbed footwear and ankle bands.

A doubled up orange low level uppy downy motion is absolutely uniquely cyclist and will put a driver (me) on a far better level of *bike coming up* alert than other jogger, builder on way home, dog walker, spangly trainer wearer etc.
They're a bit of a hobby horse of mine.

------------------

my roadie SPDs have the shimano clip in platform & they have been fine & robust for removal & refitting but generally they stay on the pedal & I don't notice theyre there, no issues clipping in etc at all.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Normally I'd agree* but last winter, when driving, shocking I know, I found I could see pedal reflectors screaming 'CYCLIST' at me when lights were either less than decent or, more often, just badly aligned.

I'm a big fan of the new Shimano Click'R pedals. Double sided SPD with built in reflectors out of the box.

*on the basis that, in truth, if they ain't lookin' they ain't gonna see you no matter what
Being singled out as a cyclist is not always the best thing, espcially if you are moving at speeds that are closer to that of mopeds and motorbikes rather than the typical granny with her shopping going home up a hill.
hmmmm. bad alignment. failing batteries, jacket or rack use obscuring lights, bad roads and cruddy mounts seeing lights fly off mid ride and the fact, like hi viz vest tops, they are used by others than just cyclists. as are reflective tabbed footwear and ankle bands.

A doubled up orange low level uppy downy motion is absolutely uniquely cyclist and will put a driver (me) on a far better level of *bike coming up* alert than other jogger, builder on way home, dog walker, spangly trainer wearer etc.
They're a bit of a hobby horse of mine.

------------------

my roadie SPDs have the shimano clip in platform & they have been fine & robust for removal & refitting but generally they stay on the pedal & I don't notice theyre there, no issues clipping in etc at all.
The use of the word decent in my post was there as a. the lights of high quality and brightness b. the light and mount location has been placed in a location that means it won't get blocked and the mount is of high quality that it won't sleep down.

As for being seen as a cyclist, this isn't always the best thing. Sometimes it's better to be thought of as a powered two wheeler rather than a bicycle.

Top Bottom