Favourite toe clips and related pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Have given up on going clipless as not really suited to where i live [highlands] and besides i like clips :okay: Im using Wellgo resin pedals with intergrated clips at the mo which are ok but a smidgeon on the small side as im shoe size 11.5 One annoying thing about buying clips is sizes arent stated apart from vague s/m/l
The ally ones in pic below are way to small for me, if anyone wants them drop by [Brora] for free, cant be r'sed to post though :okay:
I wondered if the 'box toe' type ones are more comfortable and snugger or do the old steel trad ones have merit?
DSCF6031.JPG

DSCF6032 (1).JPG

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
MKS road pedals with MKS clips and straps… the best in 1977 and still being made.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
The MKS Sylvian touring model with Christophe clips and leather straps worn lose, never cinched tight.
Find a shoe with light tread pattern, grippy enough to stay in place but slick enough to break free of the pedal.
That’s the set up I had on my Bridgestone tourer when I was in high school in the late seventies. Those pedals would cut through the soles of a pair of cheap sneakers in about a month. I considered it the acceptable cost of riding, although I can remember my mom being pretty ticked off.

I think that’s about when I started buying my own shoes.

I’ve got five pairs of MKS pedals on bikes in the garage currently, four pairs of Sylvians and a nice set of 3000Rs. Lovely reliable equipment made to last.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Good info guys, thanks :okay: MKS certainly seem to be getting the vote. I wondered whether the trad Christophe clips keep feet more secure compared to plastic varieties?

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
I have some used MKS half clips ( the no straps variety) that you can have for the price of postage. I don't commute any more and prefer spds for leisure riding. If you are interested pm me.

presta

Guru
I've only ever had two pairs of toe clips. One pair of chromed steel ones when I was a kid, then when they went rusty I bought a pair of black plastic Christophe ones which I've had for the last 40-odd years. The bike came with a pair, but they're sized to fit a welly boot so they've never been used.

The best pair of pedals I ever had were a cheapish pair of Sakae ones from Halfords, with steel cage and nylon spider. I've had umpteen others since they packed up, none any good.

Last edited:
After trying clipless for a few months last year I decided they added nothing to my non-performance type of cycling so reverted to my versatile, tried and trusted flats with toe clips.

I have these on three of my bikes: the MKS GR9 and the old Shimano PD T100.

resize=width_1000.jpg

s-l400.jpg

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
After trying clipless for a few months last year I decided they added nothing to my non-performance type of cycling so reverted to my versatile, tried and trusted flats with toe clips.

I have these on three of my bikes: the MKS GR9 and the old Shimano PD T100.

View attachment 714864

View attachment 714865
Thanks Rusty Nails :okay: they look like good pedals, but ive gone for the MKS road option with clips. Theyre in the post and will put up a pic when they arrive- should look great on the old Dawes :okay:

Top Bottom