SPD-R pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
Do Shimano still produce SPD-R pedals? I looked on Shimano's website and could not find them in their product list :biggrin:

Looking for entry-level clipless for my fixie

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
No - I think they're superseded by SPD-SL now.

I looked at them briefly, as you can still find them on eBay etc. I believe (worth checking though) that you can still get the cleats from third party manufacturers. In the end, I didn't take the risk and went for SPD-SL (long rides) and SPD (commuting).

Bokonon

Über Member
Horrible horrible horrible. I used SPD-R some years ago and had a lot of clippless moments. The things would bind in and just not release. I would have instances where I would have to stop at bollards or railings etc to grab hold off, take my feet out of the shoes and then find something to lever the shoes off. I've never had any problems with SPD or Look.

I still have the pedals and cleats and would offer to give them to you, but I don't want to be responsible for the injuries that _will_ result in trying to use them on a fixie.

bobbyp

I rode these for about 8 years until late last year when some bu&&er nicked the bikes all my pedals were attached to.

I rated them highly, easy to get into, very secure and extremely comfortable. The only problem was the fact that I sometimes had to leave the shoes on the bike when I got off.

I've now switched to SPD-R and after a few hundred miles the jury is still out, twinges from the knees as I struggle to get the cleats just right.

Top Bottom