1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPD-R pedals

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by nilling, 14 May 2008.

1. nilling

nilling Über Member

Do Shimano still produce SPD-R pedals? I looked on Shimano's website and could not find them in their product list :biggrin:

Looking for entry-level clipless for my fixie

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

No - I think they're superseded by SPD-SL now.

I looked at them briefly, as you can still find them on eBay etc. I believe (worth checking though) that you can still get the cleats from third party manufacturers. In the end, I didn't take the risk and went for SPD-SL (long rides) and SPD (commuting).

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Don't. Just don't.

4. Bokonon

Bokonon Über Member

Horrible horrible horrible. I used SPD-R some years ago and had a lot of clippless moments. The things would bind in and just not release. I would have instances where I would have to stop at bollards or railings etc to grab hold off, take my feet out of the shoes and then find something to lever the shoes off. I've never had any problems with SPD or Look.

I still have the pedals and cleats and would offer to give them to you, but I don't want to be responsible for the injuries that _will_ result in trying to use them on a fixie.

5. yenrod

yenrod Guest

bETTER GO WITH WHATS CURRENT, WORKS AND YOU CAN GET PARTS FOR !!!

6. Milo

Milo Veteran

Yenrod have you been on the glue again your shouting.

7. bobbyp

bobbyp Senior Member

I rode these for about 8 years until late last year when some bu&&er nicked the bikes all my pedals were attached to.

I rated them highly, easy to get into, very secure and extremely comfortable. The only problem was the fact that I sometimes had to leave the shoes on the bike when I got off.

I've now switched to SPD-R and after a few hundred miles the jury is still out, twinges from the knees as I struggle to get the cleats just right.