SPD-SL cleats - Floating v Non floating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I have been using the yellow floating cleats for a couple of years now and am really disappointing at the wear rate on these cleats - particularly on my right foot which hits the floor at any junctions/lights etc.

I read a review on Wiggle of the red non floating which said they don't deteoriate at all, so can anyone who uses either red or yellow offer any guide as to if it's something I'm doing wrong using them or is it a fact of owning SPD-SL that the coloured rubber section will peel away over time?

I have been using cleatskins since December but obviously they don't protect the cleat when I have to stop mid ride (and as fate would have it, I lost one cleatskin from my pocket between the office & train station tonight!)

musa

Über Member
They will eventually wear out...

After a while I swap them over to even them out

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Walking in the cleats doesn't wear them out unless you walk on uneven ground and damage the centre of the cleat.

What does wear is the tip especially if the metal on the pedal has worn. This causes wear as the cleat swivels so Red might be better if you can stand your foot being in one position all the time.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Swap over to MTB-SPD. Your shoes will wear out before the cleats do.
I do have MTB SPD for my rockhopper & was considering changing the pedals out on my road bike so I only have the one pair of shoes/cleats to worry about, but really don't want to be shelling out silly money for an extra set of pedals I don't need, especially when I already have the pedals & shoes which are worth £150+

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I'm getting
Walking in the cleats doesn't wear them out unless you walk on uneven ground and damage the centre of the cleat.

What does wear is the tip especially if the metal on the pedal has worn. This causes wear as the cleat swivels so Red might be better if you can stand your foot being in one position all the time.
uneven wear on the right foot especially they tip, which I can only put down to when I'm at junctions etc. because the left foot is almost like new as it's clipped in and doesn't unclip until the end of the ride/breaks etc. when I'll put the cleatskins on.

I do usually rotate the cleats to try and achieve even wear, but I'd rather less wear if possible tbh. Are the red ones more hardy, or is it that because of the less float, they don't move inside the pedal frame which will reduce overall wear?

Iain M Norman

There's also the new blue ones to try. They float only at one end. Can't recall wheth it's the front or back.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm getting
uneven wear on the right foot especially they tip, which I can only put down to when I'm at junctions etc. because the left foot is almost like new as it's clipped in and doesn't unclip until the end of the ride/breaks etc. when I'll put the cleatskins on.

I do usually rotate the cleats to try and achieve even wear, but I'd rather less wear if possible tbh. Are the red ones more hardy, or is it that because of the less float, they don't move inside the pedal frame which will reduce overall wear?

As you swivel to unclip this wears the very ends of the cleat.

You could try changing you uncliping technique.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are these pedals suitable? If so will they fit my bike to replace the SPD-SL pedals I currently have.

They come with the cleats, will i be able to fit them to my current road shoes?:

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Shoes&product=Sport Road Shoes - 2012#.UVDf_zIgGc0

Apologies for being such a noob as always!

No they won't fit your current shoes. You ahve the SPD-L 3 bolt system SPD-MTB have a 2 bolt system.

These shoes are the 2 bolts
shimano-sh-m064-spd-mtb-shoes-black-ESHM064G-PAR_4.jpg

And here's a pic showing the difference in cleats

pedal50-copy.jpg

Top Bottom