SPD-SL Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I may have asked this question before, but how far foward/backwards etc do you have your cleats.

I find forward position gives me more power/cadence and sliding them back tends to hurt my knees.

So how do you wear yours???

I'm no expert but when a lbs transferred my cleats to a new pair of shoes they remarked that they were a bit forward and better for sprinting rather than endurance. I replied they were set up that way because I've never had sore knees since doing so and they agreed best to leave as is. I think generally though the further back is better for climbing/endurance and comfort.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

So if you move cleats back, do you then drop the saddle to compensate??

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Are you serious?
Its a simple question based on angles and leg extension. Foot would be further forward of the pedal axle, meaning more extension of the leg, therefore would the saddle need to be lowered to compensate for the extra bit of leg extension

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cleats too far forward can lead to ankle damage if riding "out of the saddle" but are OK if spinning whilst seated. Whatever you are comfortable with is fine but I keep mine just behind the back of my toes in order to be able to "ankle" on a pedal stroke (bit old school) but still stand up without putting undue stress on my Achilles tendon. If a shop has said they are too far forward I ,for one , would be inclined to listen. Whatever.^_^

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have always just put my cleats on and done minor adjustments whilst riding until it feels right, so have had a look tonight and the cleats are quite forward ,i have moved them back and will see if its made a difference when i get out tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Thanks guys - ive moved them back slightly and will see how i go tomorrow with them

maltloaf

The ball of my foot is very slightly in front of the pedal axle. Seems the best position for me for all round comfort and efficiency.

Top Bottom