SPD-SL & Clipping in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anybody got any tips for clipping into SPD-SL pedals? I'm used to plain SPL's and when I miss 1st time with my trailing foot, no problem I can click on the next stroke. However this seems awkward with SPD-SL's when my foot slips off, if I don't look down!

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you think about it, it never works.

domtyler

Über Member
Just keep practising and it'll come eventually, I still look down if I need to be sure I won't miss though.

skwerl said:
hmm. how does that figure?
better for short commutes maybe but SLs are much better for long distance, comfort, secure fit, etc.

i've used double sided spd's for geared rides up to 320 miles and 210 on fixed and not had any problems, clipping in or otherwise.
i used looks but got fed up of sliding around in cafes and walking to the bike, getting left behind at junctions is a common problem with looks and spd-sl, while everyone tries to clip in, they're not as easy as ds spd's at first .it does take time to get the knack, sliding the foot forwards seemed to be the best method, as opposed to the pressing down of ds spd.
having said that they did fell more "connected" the time i did use them. though thats not to say double sided spds feel bad.

skwerl

hmm. I switched from egg-beaters on my fixed to SPD-SL. I've been using them on my road bike for a while too. egg-beaters were easier to clip into but SPD-SL aren't much harder. they're easy to walk in with their rubber tips. Looks are a different story.
Main reason I switched was that I've had Cycle Fit set up my shoes and I want to keep the same fit on both bikes. egg-beaters can't use wedges but ATACs can I believe. not sure about SPD.
I may switch back to off-road pedals for my fixed, probably for winter.
Anyway - I don't think SPDs are "better". there's lots to it.

theres a lot to choosing pedals. if i didn't want to walk normally or if i wanted to ride non stop i'd probably consider the looks or spd sl again as the walking problem doesn't arise. though i'm not brave enough to use single sided anything on fixed as i'd probably never get clipped in.:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
I use SPD-SL on all my bikes including my fixie and do not have problems and neither am I particularly brave.

skwerl

piedwagtail91 said:
though i'm not brave enough to use single sided anything on fixed as i'd probably never get clipped in.:smile:

interesting you say that. I switched on Monday, from egg-beaters after my CycleFit session on Saturday. On the way to CF I managed to miss clip twice and lightly bounced off a car one of those times.
That made me really apprehensive about switching to SPD-SL on my fixed.
It turns out that i find it easier on my fixed because I can pedal along with just my right foot and therefore not worry about holding people up. On the other bike I freewheel until I'm clipped in and this means I'm slower away from the lights.
The release tension on SPD-SLs is much higher than egg beaters and there's little float so there's less manoeuvrability when filtering through stationary traffic

Top Bottom