spd-sl vs spd clipping in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
I've never used spd until this morning, what is the nack to getting it the shoes clipped in? On my spd-sl I just catch the front of the cleat and then push down, easy. With the spd, I'm hunting forever and can't seen to click in 80% of the time, I thought these where supposed to be easier than spd-sl.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't think there is any 'how to' really.. just stomp down and your in.

D

Deleted member 23692

As above. I just put my foot on the pedal and 'click'. Most of the time I'm not even aware of an audible click.

What pedals are you using?

triangles

Über Member
Strangely enough I've recently bought some SPD-SLs for my nice bike and have been having the exact same problem (only the other way around). With the SPDs I find it really easy to hook the front bit of the cleat into the peddle before pressing my heel down but this doesn't seem to work so well with the SPD-SLs...

I've been wondering if it is down to the size/positioning of the different cleats?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Strangely enough I've recently bought some SPD-SLs for my nice bike and have been having the exact same problem (only the other way around). With the SPDs I find it really easy to hook the front bit of the cleat into the peddle before pressing my heel down but this doesn't seem to work so well with the SPD-SLs...

I've been wondering if it is down to the size/positioning of the different cleats?
You need to hook the front of the cleat into the top of the pedal, relatively simple when you are used to it.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YspHE9gsyqE

I use both, and find that with the SLs I have to make sure that my foot is in the right place on the pedal. If you get it wrong it's a pain and I have to look down to flip the pedal and get it right. With the basic SPDS though, I just put my foot on the pedal as thou it's a normal flat pedal and push, and they seem to just always be in the right place!

The problem is most likely that you're over thinking it :smile:

FreeFlow Bikes

With SPD's you just need to place your foot on the pedal and it'll click in. With the SPD-SL's you need to kind of slide them in.

gavintc

Guru
I agree to the comments above. I am currently running Look Keo pedals on both my bikes (best and commuter). However, to be honest, I think for commuting the SPDs are a better option. My old SPD pedals started making grating noises - so I switched them up to an old Keo pair I had. I am getting used to the Look - clipping in out for every set of lights, but SPD allow you just to stamp down without really thinking.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I agree to the comments above. I am currently running Look Keo pedals on both my bikes (best and commuter). However, to be honest, I think for commuting the SPDs are a better option. My old SPD pedals started making grating noises - so I switched them up to an old Keo pair I had. I am getting used to the Look - clipping in out for every set of lights, but SPD allow you just to stamp down without really thinking.

Ditto, for the stop-start of comuting I use spd on my SS and for longer rides on my geared bike I use Look pedals. I'm still getting used to the look pedals and occasionally forget that you can't pedal on them until fully clipped, because if you try you're likely to slip off them and land awkwardly on the cross bar. If it wasn't for the brutally cold weather on the last few long rides I think I might have burst a bag.

Top Bottom