Spd v spd sl's whats the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
Just brought the wife a defy 5 at the weekend and she now wants to go clipless,she's a casual rider,not into balls out speed or pushing herself too far and i just dont know what would suit her style better.We already have some spd' pedals so that would save a few quid but thats not what i'm after here,she needs shoes and cleats and i want to make sure she gets the ones that are best for her.I've tried both and could'nt really see a difference,my feet hurt just as much with either so i cant base an opinion on my experiences with both styles.
Many thanks.

musa

Über Member
spd sl pedals are one sided (to clip in)
spds pedal are double sided

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
For the casual road rider SPD is more appropriate. They dont have to be "mountain bike-esque"

Have a look at the shimano RT range of shoes. They have the recessed cleat and easy walking ability of a mountain bike shoe, with road bike shoe looks.
They work well with the basic m520 pedels, or if you want real road bike looks there too then there is the shimano a600 pedel.

I use Speedplay Frogs, lighter than a lot of SPD-SLs, double sided, but they use a recessed cleat making them walkable in spd shoes. :smile:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Cheers for all your replys and also the link,really helpfull.The mrs has decided to go spd and see how she gets on,the better choice i think as being double sided she'll find it easier to get used to clipping in.Just have to find some shoes and cleats now.Once again many thanks :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Get the cleats on fleabay then I guess

Top Bottom