SPD's v Crank Brothers Candy C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Looking to get some new pedals and wondered if there is any difference between the above.

Can't decide between Shimano M520, M540 or the Candy C's. To be used on a 9 mile each way commute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Candys. Mr Shi**no doesn't need your money.

If I can overcome my hatred of Shi**no for a second. *deep breath*

Not much in it in terms of performance, Shi**no spares being marginally easier to attain. Crank Bros pedals have several degrees of free float which is kinder to your knees that the spring loaded float found on Shi**no systems and their clones. I honestly think that the CB system is the work of a design genius, not that this fact in itself should be enough to persuade you, what really matters is that having CB pedals on your bike will distinguish you, in the eyes of those who know about these things, as a forward thinking individual with impeccable taste. Oh and good looking too.

bonj2

I've tried both brands of non-shimano mtb clipless pedals and found them both to be an utter bag of shite.
Basically they look nice and funky, but they are just an absolute nightmare to clip into. I don't want to be hunting and stomping about 10 times to try and get my clip in. I went straight back to shimano - and it's toe on the binding, slide forward, straight in. No faffing around.

Moonlight

mickle, I just got Look pedals...now I'm worried....are they too mainstream? will my girlfriend still love me? will I slide into a dark spiral of commercial indecency? am I frightening some/all members of this forum?

Keith Oates

Janner
SPD's are very good, I've not tried the Crank Bros. ones so don't know how they perform, but many years of using the Shimano pedals of various types I've not found anything that makes me want to change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
On my recumbent I've got the Shimano pedals which are SPD on one side and normal on the other, which is an arrangement which suits me well, clipped on quiet roads with the option of unclipped in busy urban areas. However, as a result of Mickle's eulogising I've just had a look at the Crank Bros site and they do look like good pedals. My question is, which if any of their models can be comfortably pedalled on while not clipped in?

skwerl

I've used Egg-Beaters for some time. Candies are the same thing but with a platform IIRC. Low-end Egg-beaters don't last too long. Quality isn't great - the bearings fail after about a year.
Main issue though is that the cleats wear quite quickly. I have to replace mine every 6 months.
The float is the main benefit but my next set of pedals won't be Crank Bros

bonj2

Moonlight said:
mickle, I just got Look pedals...now I'm worried....are they too mainstream? will my girlfriend still love me? will I slide into a dark spiral of commercial indecency? am I frightening some/all members of this forum?

no, they'll just break. ask joe24

Andy in Sig said:
My question is, which if any of their models can be comfortably pedalled on while not clipped in?
I don't think so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look pedals are great - just don't buy the real cheap ones - they break. The Shimano M520 M540 are fine - go for the M540 is should be a little better sealed.

Top Bottom