special lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legomutton

The ebiker's cadence will typically be lower, although increasingly there are roadie-style ebikes which will attract roadies used to a higher cadence.

As a flat bar plodder, my cadence is probably about 60rpm, less on steep climbs.

Would a 90rpm+ cadence for the same speed significantly reduce the stress on a drivetrain?

Going from 60 to 90 at the same total work rate (rider effort plus motor) would reduce torque by 1/3. The difference sounds more impressive if you say dropping your cadence from 90 to 60 increases torque requirement by 50% :smile:

There will be a small proportion (I'm guessing) who habitually use very low cadence and whack the bike into Turbo for hills, which is probably the worst case but I agree it's a bit theoretical and a much more important predictor is probably whether the chain is lubricated (with anything) or not.

Isn't there is a school of thought that believes the factory grease is very good and no further lubrication is necessary?

Mike_P

Guru
The only specific ebike bike shed thing required is a suitable water free cleaner such as that provided by Finish Line for cleaning around the electric bits.

gbb

Legendary Member
Formerly discussed in this forum was the differences between rear hub drive and crank drive...it seems generally accepted that crank drive will wear a chain quicker primarily because its pulling the chain which is under tension. Not sure that's actually torque but anyway...
I assume this lube is perhaps aimed at mitigating the extra wear an ebike chain can encounter.

Whether it does actually work or not is entirely debatable...:laugh:

I would think that ebike lube would not really make much difference to the wear based on the power through the chain

Based on my extensive knowledge of the subject (i.e. I have watched lots of Wheeler Dealer episodes) I thin heat is the main problem for lube rather than power

I would imagine that a 'better' chain would be a better answer
Although nothing special - just something that a good pro would use
I am pretty sure that me (60+ old fat etc etc etc) plus a 250W motor puts a damn site less load on a chain that a good pro does
so the technology is out there

My chain wore out (according to the LBS) after about 3000 miles - the LBS said they replaced it with a 'better quality one' - which was not expensive
I shall see if it lasts any longer!

gbb

Legendary Member
I would think that ebike lube would not really make much difference to the wear based on the power through the chain

Based on my extensive knowledge of the subject (i.e. I have watched lots of Wheeler Dealer episodes) I thin heat is the main problem for lube rather than power

I would imagine that a 'better' chain would be a better answer
Although nothing special - just something that a good pro would use
I am pretty sure that me (60+ old fat etc etc etc) plus a 250W motor puts a damn site less load on a chain that a good pro does
so the technology is out there

My chain wore out (according to the LBS) after about 3000 miles - the LBS said they replaced it with a 'better quality one' - which was not expensive
I shall see if it lasts any longer!
'Better quality' chain is difficult to quantify, .
On my 10 speed roadie (no longer used) i went through Shimano, Campag, SRam and KMC chains on it, didnt matter which i fitted, i always got between 1200 and 1600 miles before the wear indicator suggested a new one was in order. Price ranges in those chains were all moderate, neither expensive nor cheap.
I only ever fitted one 'very cheap' chain to a bike and it fared very poorly.

TBF, i'd take 3000 miles on any bike, road, MTB or ebike, i never achieved it on anything i owned. :laugh: Even my ebike (rear hub drive) is on its second chain at 3300 miles.

Top Bottom