Specialized Allez sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is my specialized allez sport.

specialized1.jpg

I bought it a month ago off a guy quite local to me from ebay. I bought it unseen and in hind sight this may not be the deal I thought it was! I paid £300 for it. When I got it home I checked it over and knew it would need some work to bring it up to the standards I expect from my vehicles! The bottom bracket was a bit creaky and the rear wheel had a bit of side to side movement on its axles, but I knew I could sort them out. I decided to buy a few upgrades and put them on the bike as time and money allowed. First I got a pair of SPD pedals fitted and then I transfered my bottle cage, lights and saddle bag on it. I used it for a month putting about 400 miles on it and continued to buy a few bits and bobs for it. Last week the rear wheel bearings gave up the ghost and I had to replace it with the rear wheel from my hybrid for the 100 mile ride on Friday night from Manchester to Southport and back. I had decided that after the ride I would strip the bike down and fit all the new components. On Friday night I got to 20 miles from the finish and the chain snapped, ironically I had a new chain at home to be fitted today!I got a taxi home with the bike and started stripping and cleaning it.

Dean E

Regular
Nice bike!!!!

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Thanks. It may not be an expensive, carbon framed bike with top of the range group set, but it serves a purpose and it is mine!
Yesterday I fitted a new bottom bracket, the old one was well past its sell by date. I also fitted a 105 triple chain set, ultegra rear mech and a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels with a 10 speed cassette.
I have a set of 105 sti levers to fit and then set it all up. Hopefully it will then be a bit better to ride.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Thanks. It may not be an expensive, carbon framed bike with top of the range group set, but it serves a purpose and it is mine!

I fail to see what price or material has to do with anything at all. The Allez is not by any means a second rate bike, they are really really good. I rode one at my LBS recently and was seriously shocked by how well they perform.
Cracking bike, cracking value, your in for a lot of fun

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
I am pleased with it now that the bearings and bottom bracket have been replaced and it runs as it should.
The reason I chose the allez is that the reviews all say the frame is good. I thought I could use that and upgrade the other parts as I get the money.

HovR

Über Member
Nice bike! Indeed you don't need to spend big money to get a really nice bike, and you should thoroughly enjoy your Allez as long as it is well looked after (which it sounds like it will be).

Although perhaps from now on you could carry a chain tool and spare quick-link in your seat pack? :thumbsup:

Cyclist33

I fail to see what price or material has to do with anything at all. The Allez is not by any means a second rate bike, they are really really good. I rode one at my LBS recently and was seriously shocked by how well they perform.
Cracking bike, cracking value, your in for a lot of fun

Have you got a very, very large LBS?

Reactions: geo

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Yes my LBS is pretty big, has a nice range of bikes in there to tempt me continuously :ohmy:

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
A new carbon seat post arrived today so that was fitted along with the saddle off of my hybrid. Slowly getting a few pounds off the bike and out of my bank account as well!

oliver

nice build that should be! I'm in the process of building up a set of sub 1370g wheelset for mine, along with most of the bits now having been upgraded to ultegra 5400 (still 9 speed) - best thing about the allez sport is the frame!!

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Well the bike is up and running, all new cables and bearings fitted. I took it out last weekend for a 60 mile spin and it is dirty again, I dont know why I never learn and keep on getting white bikes! Anyway, it feels like a new bike now and I am happy with it (until I see something else shiney to buy!) I may buy some mudguards though to keep the worst of the crap off the bike.

allez_zps6c835b7d.jpg

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Today I stayed behind at work to make a few mods to my bike. The cateye light that I use has to sit below the saddle bag I use, so I removed the saddle, drilled an tapped a hole in it and made a boss that can be bolted the underside of the sadddle, enabling me to use the standard mount to put it above the saddle bag and in clear view.

DSCN1657_zps36291bef.jpg

DSCN1659_zps6e4c4c08.jpg

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Just a bit of an update. I have done a few thousand miles on it amd had a few minor problems. I had to change the front mech after I went for a ride in the Lake distict and the chain came off the front chainring and wrapped itself around the chain arm, it took the front mech out and destroyed the chain. luckily it had an old chainset on it, so although it marked the arms, I just replaced it with a newer 105 triple I had. I replaced the front mech with an Ultegra one off ebay for £15.
The brakes have also been replaced with some black 105 items (£40 off ebay) The Sora brakes were ok, but I am a bit of a tart and when the black 105 items came up at the right price I had to have them. The braking seems improved but that is probably down to the pads rather than the calipers.
I sat on a mates bike that had a charge spoon saddle fitted and it felt right straight away, so I also invested in one of them.
I have a few plans in the pipeline for it. First off is a new steering stem I have designed, hopefully I will get to machine it this week and fit it. I am thinking of having the frame powder coated matte black, a guy I make motorbike parts for can get it blasted and coated for £30 and although I like white bikes, they are a pain to keep clean and I really like the stealth black look.
Anyway a few pics of it as it is at the moment:

DSCN1691_zps3d68e920.jpg

DSCN1692_zps818e49e6.jpg

Top Bottom