Specialized Crosstrail - dump find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I posted on the thread here but don't want to derail the thread, so starting this one.
Today, I visited my local recycling centre and bagged a Specialized Crosstrail for a tenner.

It is probably a bit too big for me really and no front brake caliper and the lever was removed and the wrong front wheel - probably why they removed the front brake because the 'replacement' wheel is for rim brakes. It has a QR code on the downtube/BB junction but this doesn't return anything meaningful. From basic searching I suspect it is around 2015-2016, so it's had a hard life for one so (relatively) young.
EDIT: I have found it - 2015 model

There are some very obvious issues and a lot of work but I spent a couple of hours stripping it down and am fairly happy that the headset is fine, the seatpost came out ok, the crankset came off and I can't see any structural issues with the frame. The forks have a snapped lockout lever but you can turn it and it does work. Will have a source a few bits and not really decided the ultimate plan yet.

I might try to keep this as some kind of beater bike for trails and put some spare CX tyres I have knocking around somewhere. I have a zillion spare parts but typically they are mostly road, so not compatible in it's current format, unless I convert to drops, of course.... Likely to swap the fork - maybe for a regular non sus one but we'll see.

Spesh-Crosstrail-1.jpg

Strip down begins...
Spesh-Crosstrail-6.jpg

You could eat your dinner off these chainrings - maybe....
Spesh-Crosstrail-7.jpg

Still got the alignment sticker on the FD - chain stay took a beating though!
Spesh-Crosstrail-8.jpg

Snapped lockout lever :ohmy:
Spesh-Crosstrail-9.jpg

If only I had more spare parts that were compatible... :rolleyes:
Spesh-Crosstrail-10.jpg

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
@Sittingduck That’s a nice find. Really it’s just an excuse to show off your very tidy ,spacious and well organised workshop :notworthy:.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
@Sittingduck That’s a nice find. Really it’s just an excuse to show off your very tidy ,spacious and well organised workshop :notworthy:.

It’s a work in progress! an update on the bike is that I have rebuilt it and so far only had to acquire minimal components. Stripped the rear hub, removed the bearings and cleaned and greased. New chain, all new cabling inner and outer. Test ridden around the block and chain is slipping on the rear, it’s a new chain but the cassette didn’t look that bad tbh. nevertheless I have ordered a replacement decathlon 8spd cassette (shock horror roseland if yo reading this) and had to put a new calliper on the front. Front wheel is a conundrum but I used one off another bike to test. I am hoping the cheap cassette and new chain sorts the slipping and the chainset doesn’t need swapping, that’ll cost more. New grips ordered along with the cassette. BB is actually not too bad. One thing that is a bit of a PItA is the fork is fully stuck, or it could be that the lower most spacer is just bonded to the steerer and this is stopping me from removing the fork. Headset runs ok (luckily), so I put it back together after unsuccessfully bashing it with a rubber hammer. Updated pics to follow.

Last edited:
I had one with a bit of red to it from about that time. Got stolen from work a year after getting it. Not a bad bike but it made me realise i didn't like flat bar bikes.

When I first saw this thread and read it I wondered if it was my old stolen one until I saw the photo. I don't think it's like mine but if there's purple letters and numbering on the bottom of the downtube near the bottom bracket. Joking, I know it's not. Mine ended up sold to a bike theft / fencing ring in the area that sent then back in pieces to their old country, Bulgaria, in containers. Or that is what I heard from people likely to hear about such things.

I still hate the fact it got nicked while colleagues watched the theft happen and then sold for very little. If you get a decent bike out of yours for little more than a tenner and cost of a few parts/ time then I think that's a positive win.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your nicked bike TW. I think this one just got knackered before it’s time. After some further research it is definitely a 2015 model but could easily be mistaken for a bike much older. Looks like it was somebody’s commenter that got left out in the rain all weathers and didn’t get much servicing.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have done 3 test rides on it so far. The first was ok just around the block. The second ended in disaster as the rear mech shifted into the hub, virtually. It wrecked 7 spokes and ended up me replacing them, re-truing then having to totally re-dish it. I had to replace the rear mech due to really bad wear and totally shot jockey wheels. New chain new cassette new front disc caliper new bar grips new cables changed the saddle with a virtually new one I had been testing and of course seven new spokes. Test ride 3 just done this evening without much drama.

front wheel is temporary as this is from my main road bike but I am likely to upgrade the wheels on that bike to Hunts and demote the SR2s to this hack.

so far I am in for about 80 quid…

065EB4B3-AC26-4FB6-8F84-F739D43F0097.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom