Specialized makeover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angela78

Hi all

I don't know if this is the right place to put this post but I'm sure it will be moved if needed.

My hubby has a specialized rockhopper 2004 which is in serious need of a makeover.

The frame is fine but I think it needs to be stripped down and rebuilt with new parts.

Does anyone know a rough cost for this ie new wheels, brakes etc etc.

If it costs too much I might just sell it on as is and let someone else have fun fixing it up.

Thanks in advance
Angela

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It all depends on the quality of components you want. For example you can pay under £100 for a pair of wheels, or thousands.

My LBS do a complete strip down and rebuild for about £100 (plus parts), but they state on their website that a full rebuild is very rarely needed. For a bog standard service including changing cables they charge about £40.

Best bet is to take it into the local bike shop, they will give it the once over and quote for you. You may be surprised at how little work will need doing on it.

festival

Über Member
I f the bike has little sentimental value, its time for a new one.
Cost for parts and labour will take you close to the value of the bike when new at least and you get a better bike today for the same amount.

HovR

Über Member
I'd give it a clean up and take it to an LBS or experienced bike mechanic and see what they think. Rebuilding with new parts could get very expensive, and it likely just needs a good in-depth service of the forks, hubs, bottom bracket, cables etc.

Entry level wheelset: £100+
Hyrdo Disc Brakes: £80+
Front and Back Derailleurs: £40+
New Fork: £200 can easily be considered entry level, although cheaper forks can be had for around £100.
Shifters: £40+

It adds up pretty quickly, although is obviously very dependent on the quality of the component and whether it's the latest model. Add labour on to that and you're looking at a decent sum.

If you're investing that sort of money, a brand new 29'er Rockhopper with hydraulic brakes can be had for £600. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom