Specialized Secteur Sport Triple vs Giant Defy 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lemond

Hi all

I'm a second-time-around newbie, having not ridden a bike for a good 20 years or so. Boy, a lot has changed: Last time I went for a ride I had to remember to take a few 10p pieces for the phone box, in case of emergencies!

I'm riding London to Paris next July and am about to treat myself to a new bike. I've narrowed things down to either the Specialized Secteur Sport Triple or the Giant Defy 3, both of which have good reviews.

I'm leaning towards the Specialized as it scores well on comfort, plus it also features a triple chain set that should help when things head up hill.

I've been back in the saddle for three weeks and am currently riding 11 miles three times a week (Mon-Wed-Fri), and then slightly longer at the weekend. I plan to up the mileage steadily, without going nuts.

My question is: do you think I'll need the triple chain set in a year's time? Will it only really be of benefit to me in these early months as I get back into the swing of things?

Any opinions or advice would be welcomed.

Phixion

I wouldn't get a triple but my reasoning may be different to others.

I don't like that you have to shift through more gears at the front whilst shifting through the back to avoid having a wonky chain.

Plus, doubles look better (IMO).

videoman

Guru
I purchased four months ago a Trek Domane 2.0 and one of the main criteria for my bike was a triple chain set as I'll never be young fit and slim again, ever.

I suppose whether you'll need one next year is down to the individual and what sort of riding and type of terrain you anticipate cycling over but I know I will always need a triple where I ride as my fitness never to appears to improve that much.

Enjoy whatever you purchase.

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hello & :welcome: from the Peoples Republic of Mancunia.

I will be cheeky & suggest you look at a Cube Peloton also, as it is great quality with better spec for your £££ than both.

If it is to be just between those 2 listed bikes then I would go for the Giant, having owned a Giant Defy in the past, I can vouch foe their quality, comfort & general levels of spec.

The Specialized will have a good frame but low spec components by comparison.

In regards to triple chain sets, imho they are not really needed any longer & are all but dead in the water.

My reasoning behind this.

Triples feature on very few bikes in comparison to compact chainsets.
(Manufacturers rarely spec them).

Compact weighs less & does the same job.

(Wide range cassettes of 11-28 upto 11-32 mean no real loss of gearing).

Triples weigh a ton, look ugly & offer little benefit.

Of course this is opinion only & others swear by them. (Not saying they are wrong either).

Happy hunting.

OP
OP
Lemond

Lemond

Hello & :welcome: from the Peoples Republic of Mancunia.

I will be cheeky & suggest you look at a Cube Peloton also, as it is great quality with better spec for your £££ than both.

If it is to be just between those 2 listed bikes then I would go for the Giant, having owned a Giant Defy in the past, I can vouch foe their quality, comfort & general levels of spec.

The Specialized will have a good frame but low spec components by comparison.

In regards to triple chain sets, imho they are not really needed any longer & are all but dead in the water.

My reasoning behind this.

Triples feature on very few bikes in comparison to compact chainsets.
(Manufacturers rarely spec them).

Compact weighs less & does the same job.

(Wide range cassettes of 11-28 upto 11-32 mean no real loss of gearing).

Triples weigh a ton, look ugly & offer little benefit.

Of course this is opinion only & others swear by them. (Not saying they are wrong either).

Happy hunting.

Damn you! That Cube sure does look pretty. More reading to do!!!

Phixion

My old road bike was a 2011 CUBE Peleton. Was great for the money, full Tiagra for 800 quid at the time.

CUBE tend tobe very good value for money - and they're German made.

jamin100

Guru
I recently brought the defy 3 but the carbon version

Very pleased and room for upgrades in the future as parts wear out.

Only £800 from Paul's cycles

lesley_x

Über Member
Very happy Secteur rider here, it's done me well for four years, not one part has needed replacing. Even on original tyres :O

Very comfy bike, it's like a mile muncher.

Tim O

Über Member
I have a Secteur Elite which I find remarkably forgiving. It came with a Compact and Tiagra rear mech. Just on the Compact point, may I refer to my post of September 2012 (with an update):

"Just in case anyone is interested for the future, I've got an update. Went into my LBS to get something and told the owner about my thoughts on lower gearing. He said to come in the next day and he would fit an 11 - 36 MTB Shimano cassette. If it worked, I could buy it. If it didn't, no charge to me. He said he'd done it for a customer who wanted to tour the Alps and it had worked. I reckon that's damn good service. The following day, I went back, changed the standard cassette and took it for a test drive. Worked perfectly. Now done a couple of hundred miles and it continues to work well: no hesitation in going up to the lowest cog. So, if anyone needs a lower gear on a (Tiagra) compact as equipped on the Secteur - it is worth putting on an MTB cassette. It'll certainly aid touring. Hope that helps."

It's now been 2 years and a few thousand miles later including some sportives and round the island (Isle of Wight) and it still performs faultlessly. It needed one adjustment in those 2 years (which I reckon any rear mech might over that period). I only post it again as I see that it is still being said that a 32 rear cog is the maximum that a road rear mech as found on compacts can handle. I suppose it depends on what rear mech it is, but all I can say is that the Tiagra continues to change smoothly on my 11 - 36 MTB Shimano cassette with a compact chain set. Yes, it's a tiny bit noisy but I can put up with that on the occasions I need to get some really steep hills. Very pleased with the Secteur.

OP
OP
Lemond

Lemond

Finally settled on the Giant Defy 2, which I found to be incredibly comfortable. So far, so very good. Did my usual 11 mile circuit and really noticed the difference. Loving it.

Top Bottom