Specialized Sirrus crank failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Early October 2020: Recall notice from Specialized
Here: https://considertheconsumer.com/recalls/sirrus-bicycle-recall
"Where the product was sold nationally from bike stores and online between 1 July 2018 - 30 June 2020."
"The affected component is a two-piece slotted crank that will host a fixing bolt that clamps the crankarm to the axle."
I had a R2W voucher since April (had to use Evans Cycles)..... I snapped up a newer hybrid - a Specialized Sirrus X3
Evans sells Sirrus X3 to OP late November 2020. Surely inconceivable Evans would not know about the extant recall nor take the necessary remedial checking of the crank security, before selling this bike.
@mikelow was on Day 4 of his end-to-end (Day 5 now) and scooted the last seven miles to his accommodation (?near Taunton)
It would appear Specialized knew this could happen to me, with my Sirrus X 3.0

View: https://twitter.com/mikewiow/status/1395984141947129856
Either they have been criminally negligent in not properly informing Dealers like Evans Cycles, who sold me it before Christmas and serviced it only weeks ago, or Evans have been criminally negligent in their failure to contact me.
Either way I am absolutely furious: that could have happened at any point, I was very lucky I was just cycling slowly up a quite back road.
Let’s see what the bike shop here say at 9 this morning

1621674571353.png

I'd be more interested to know what the mechanism is for failure. The recall says "According to the company, the cranks may not have been installed to factory specification." Isn't the left crank: shove it on the splines and tighten the bolts to the correct torque?

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
From memory, it's "shove it on the splines, tighten the plastic cap using the proper shimano tool, THEN tighten the 2 retaining bolts to the specified torque".

Last edited:
Top Bottom