Specialized Tricross Comp - Gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benguin

Hi all,

New to the forum and already in with a question. I am thinking of buying a Specialized Tricross Comp bike, as a fast commuter and weekend/touring companion. Having said that, I only just moved to Wales and am a bit dubious about my capacity to negotiate those hills with only the 20 gears available. I'm used to having a triple on a Corratec bike. Following are the details of what the Specialized comes with. Cassette is 10-speed 11-28t. Chainrings 48x34t.
There is a lower version of this bike with a triple available 11-34t and 50x39x30.

I'm not great at the technical stuff so any help appreciated...

Thanks,
ben

A 34x28 should get you up most tarmac. I wonder if the triple is for touring or off road?

OP
OP
B

benguin

Hi,

Thanks for those replies...

Maybe I'm not quite as tough as you guys are! Well, I'm fairly fit and used to cycling, only not to Welsh hills at all (I've been for far too long in flat-ish Oxfordshire (by comparison)). Also, I've never had a proper 'road bike', only a fast hybrid/cross.

You're right, maybe the triple is for off-road.

Tynan

Veteran
tricross isn't a road bike really, it's a bit cyclo cross, I considered one and swerved it in the end as I thought it too compromised, reviews think the inserts are a gimmick and the front forks are still noisey, toe clip, heavy, some early problems with fork judder and shitty brakes

went a bit audax and plumped for a condor fratello which is slightly audaxy

Benguin, I've got the version with the triple - the double would be fine for it's intended use - cyclocross, but I think the triple is better if you want to use for touring - the bottom gear is pretty similar to what you find on a dedicated touring bike - I think most people would be grateful for these gears when it comes to hauling themselves and 15-20kg of camping gear up a 20% hill!

On the subject of judder, I've heard of it as a large frame issue. Mine's a 54cm version - there was a slight 'ticking' on using the front brake but I've tightened the headset and it's fine now.

Tynan said:
tricross isn't a road bike really, it's a bit cyclo cross, I considered one and swerved it in the end as I thought it too compromised, reviews think the inserts are a gimmick and the front forks are still noisey, toe clip, heavy, some early problems with fork judder and shitty brakes

went a bit audax and plumped for a condor fratello which is slightly audaxy

How's on earth is it not a road bike? If you put road tyres on, it's a road bike.

Toe clip - you mean overhang? Not really, in fact less than most road bikes because of the long wheelbase and relaxed angles

No judder if you set the brakes up correctly

Brakes? I wouldn't use them in a crit but they have loads of feel and they stop you adequately enough.

Heavy? Mine weighs 20lbs.

But it is an S-Works ;):biggrin:

Yeah the inserts are a gimmick. If they are that good, then why aren't they on the S-Works?

Tynan

Veteran
not a road bike because it also designed for cyclocross and off road, so not a road bike, easy

I've not ridden one but others have referred to toe clip, pictures seem to confirm that, heavier than it should be perhaps is better as it's engineered for extra stress etc

granted the shudder may no longer be an issue but it's a damming indictment of the original design at least and erm ... the compromise for off road, clearances and all that

OP
OP
B

benguin

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all those insightful replies (and sorry for not acknowledging them sooner... I guess I've spent less time in front of my screen recently than on my saddle. And I feel all the better for it!)

Am still not sure what to go for, to be honest. The good news is that I have time since I'm still waiting for my work to sign to a Cyclescheme. The Condors look interesting: the Fratello, especially, but also (drool) the Gran Fondo. I still love the look and feel of the Tri-Cross Comp. As I said, the bike would really serve quite a few purposes: fast commuting (with quite a few big uphills), some light touring (but maybe with a view of doing more), some light road runs. As for the gears, again, not sure at all... We'll see.

Cheers,

ben

Tynan

Veteran
Fratello would do all those things (up to light touring anyway) and better too I suspect, got one a month old now and loving it, the ride with the steel frame and carbon fork is amazing after alu

it takes proper mudguards and proper rack too, really check the tricross does, I seem to recall the clearance for guards was debatable

the Gran Fondo did look nice, just far too much

Top Bottom