Specialized Turbo Creo, quite a machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This year I cycled the west coast of Wales and east coast of Ireland and wrote the story here: www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com and what I love about the Creo-ebike is its battery range and speed of charging. The internal battery takes me 70 miles and the range extender an extra 30 with still some power to go further

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
@Dadam Good question, and I love data :smile: - Cannot comment on the hub drive motors, as I've always preferred the idea of crank/mid drive.

There is a regular hill near me which I use as a benchmark for the last 10 years+ for my relative poor climbing ability. My FTP is around 200watts, and thats quite stable.

The summary is both the Creo and Boardman do what they claim, and are very close with the Creo just edging it, however both are almost twice as quick vs legs only. The difference is in the bikes them selves, one is carbon road bike the other standard Halfords Alu hybrid, so comparing the 'subjective' ride feeling the Creo is leagues ahead as you would expect.

First graph is tackling the hill on the Creo (bare in mind it this was the 2nd ride out). The Creo has what appears to be an accurate power meter built in - The power reading is rider input not total power output. The Creo is factory stock.

Subjectively the 'climb' felt like riding the Trek Madone, even though I didn't have clip in pedals for this ride. Essentially 'fun' all the way to the top, it must be what pro riders feel like all the time when smashing it out of the saddle.

52598134706_dc9586f8e9_c_d.jpg

Second graph is tackling the hill on the Boardman with Fazua motor on max. The Fazua motor also reports power but doesn't like to talk to anything else but the Fazua app which doesn't import into Strava properly. So the power reading is Strava 'estimate' based on figure I put for bike weight and type. The Boardman is running a 'modified' speed sensor :rolleyes:.

Subjectively the 'climb' feels awful on the Boardman. Plenty of 'power' from the motor, but not 'fun' in any sense. Out of the saddle the bike feels every bit its 15kg+ weight despite the support. It was more a case of sit down, spin, and get it over with!

52597647842_64d4ef190d_c_d.jpg

Third graph is tackling the hill on my 7.9kg Trek Madone. This hill is always a killer for me, didn't have HR data on here, but pretty much Zone 5 by the end of the hill. Really interesting to see the Strava power 'estimates' appears to be pretty much bang on, 180watts or so on the analogue bike very close the Creo reported power levels. Add in 200-250watts of 'support' by the motor and you get pretty close to the 380watt+ estimated by Strava for the Boardman.

Subjectively the 'climb' always starts feeling 'fun', but is pure torture by the end. The getting use to the 'speed' of the Boardman up a hill on my weekly commute meant going out of weekend rides on the Trek was heart sinking interms of how slow I was on these kind of hills....hence the justification for another eBike :smile:.

52598566525_d71e32468c_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
what I love about the Creo-ebike is its battery range and speed of charging.

Just done a proper ride on the Creo, taking in the biggest hills around me. Efficiency of the motor in the Creo is far better than the Fazua in the Boardman. In single digit temps the range appears to be 75 miles with 3000ft of climbing, in summer this will mean 100 miles+ :smile:.

Smashed in some proper efforts, and used barely 1/3 battery.

52599882949_a52a0da79b_c_d.jpg

52599681371_dfb4fbb501_c_d.jpg

Amazing machine, fantastic bike + fantastic motor system. Even managed to 'beat' the PR on the benchmark hill by a few seconds. Riding this thing just make me smile, very very happy with this bike :smile:.

52599133577_845b35cd8f_c_d.jpg

52600118105_3ffd4dee67_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
A commute through Leicester isn't the Paris–Roubaix, but the new toy with Future shock 2.0 does make a difference.

Some front end suspension, awesome brakes, responsive frameset (for an eBike), 250watts of extra power entap, built in power meter.

Absolutely amazing engineering and now that am getting use to the handling the MOST FUN vehicle I have tried (excluding proper motorbikes). Cannot wait till the roads are dry/gripper, this thing can corner properly in a way the Boardman hybrid can only dream about.

All that's missing is some deeper section carbon wheels. Thanks to advice on here that will be sorted with some bespoke ones before summer arrives :smile:.

52610901988_42b990e4a2_k_d.jpg

But using a new bike in the current weather with no mudguards will give anyone here with OCD nightmares!! But who cares about some mud when it's so fun to ride.

52610902083_435f6c43ee_k_d.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A commute through Leicester isn't the Paris–Roubaix, but the new toy with Future shock 2.0 does make a difference.

Some front end suspension, awesome brakes, responsive frameset (for an eBike), 250watts of extra power entap, built in power meter.

Absolutely amazing engineering and now that am getting use to the handling the MOST FUN vehicle I have tried (excluding proper motorbikes). Cannot wait till the roads are dry/gripper, this thing can corner properly in a way the Boardman hybrid can only dream about.

All that's missing is some deeper section carbon wheels. Thanks to advice on here that will be sorted with some bespoke ones before summer arrives :smile:.

View attachment 673630

But using a new bike in the current weather with no mudguards will give anyone here with OCD nightmares!! But who cares about some mud when it's so fun to ride.

View attachment 673631

Great looking bike, enjoy👍

Really getting comfortable with this bike now, the thing feels so lively compared to Boardman Bike. Just waiting for some better weather before I really start pushing it around corners. Beautiful machine :wub:

View attachment 674477

How are you getting on with the 'Mission Control' app? The various settings have a bearing on performance and riding style

Nytsom

I looked at Specialized Creo road bike, but seems they have several models; but all with single chain ring. Prices vary quite a bit also. While reading through the posts and threads on the Creo, it seems like a good quality E-Bike. What model does everyone recommend ?

Gosh, well the most expensive is the lightest and they would argue has the best components. All the grades explain their different spec . Mine is the £4k Turbo Crew SL Comp carbon which is far less money than the £12k top model. if I had to £12k would I buy the most expensive one, yep - but I don't so have what I can afford. I put a set of better tyres on and ride on the saddle I have used for years; this followed saddle soreness from trying out the one it came with. I've also rack fitted and full length mudguards. So all in all it suits me and my touring holidays and is far lighter than drop handbar e-bikes offered by competitors. if you visit my website I have written a review of my bike in the blog : Bye Bessie, hello Gypsy that can be found at www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
I looked at Specialized Creo road bike, but seems they have several models; but all with single chain ring. Prices vary quite a bit also. While reading through the posts and threads on the Creo, it seems like a good quality E-Bike. What model does everyone recommend ?

The Creo Comp Carbon is the one I got, same as @harlechjoe. But I've kept mine 'bare' just a light weight (for an eBike) machine I use of fun ride out versus the commuter bike (Boardman eBike) thats covered in lights, pannier racks etc.

The more expensive specs only vary in groupsets (electronic) and some very fancy (but expensive) carbon wheel sets.

The Creo really is a lovely road bike to ride with or without assistance, its as nice as the DurAce equiped Trek 5500 I borrowed to do the LEJOG on all those year back. When you push out of the saddle you do still feel the weight of the motor compared to a pure analogue road bike but its in a different league to the Boardman that really doesn't like been pushed.

I wouldn't worry about x1 chain ring, its fine and not having a front mech is something you get use to very quickly.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
How are you getting on with the 'Mission Control' app? The various settings have a bearing on performance and riding style

Haven't played with it at all to be honest, using it to record rides. Unlike the Boardman where the ride quality was all about the Fazua motor, the Creo just wants to be ridden like a normal bike. So I just turn it on and go :smile:.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Currently just on holiday in a very unusually SUNNY Scotland, and had my first go a ‘grave’ with the Creo. Despite having only 28mm road tires, the Creo managed things amazingly well. I have to say am really really impressed with what this bike can do, fast on the road, can manage road surface my Trek Madonna just wouldn’t, but with the electric assistance that makes 10% inclines enjoyable versus dreading.

The Creo is expensive, but you can tell its been designed without compromise interms of giving you the best eBike experience whilst still works essentially as human powered machine. I’m finding it harder and harder to resist dropping some ££££ on a decent set of deep sc

Overall, amazing bike, amazing place (Scotland), reminds me why its so good to be alive, and why cycling is just so fun :smile:.

52936997284_ee43d5e64a_c_d.jpg

52937290358_4a110f6dbb_c_d.jpg

52936842516_46bc9f18c1_k_d.jpg

52934659092_062031b4b7_k_d.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
28m should be fine on some gravel - I was covering gravel OK on 25c on an early 90's race bike last week OK, with big gears - had to sit down on a couple of climbs, and the descent's were a bit iffy (very iffy TBH). The 28c Gators that came with my 'new to me' CX bike look loads bigger than the 25's on my other two bikes. The CX is currently running 38c Gravel tyres, with the Gators on some other wheels.

Cracking pictures - how are you getting on with 1x. That would drive me nuts on a leg powered bike - i.e. the 'gaps' between gears. Fine on an MTB, but road, espeially flat would annoy me - PS I've come from road and TT's where my cassette had 1 tooth differences.

My CX is 2 x 10 and annoys me a bit with the gaps my road bikes don't have.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Did some proper road riding today, x1 is fine for my usage. The Creo is an amazing bike, fab on the road and really does have the ability to go places my roadbike just cannot.

52940944084_f2a62e0a28_c_d.jpg

52941165990_9133765f97_c_d.jpg

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Commuted to work on the Boardman 8.9e yesterday and than went for a ride around the local routes in the evening on the Creo.

What a difference!!!

Yes the Creo is more expensive but not by that much £3500ish vs £2000. But riding the two is literally night and day. One is an absolute smile maker, the other just ultitarian.

I'm seriously considering selling the Boardman now to help fund some new wheels for the Creo. I get the job of the Boardman is to be ultitarian but its just not 'fun' to ride when compared to the Creo, and what's the point if the fun isn't there any more?

52991633486_eecb1ee969_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom