Specific Training for Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Hi,

Do any of the tourers on here do a specific type of training plan for their tour or just cycle regularly pre tour?

Or of course do some just hop on the bike and go without much physical preparation?

D

Don't over-worry it.

The first day of your tour is the training for the second day. The second day is training for the third, etc. etc. By the time you get back you'll be fit enough to go on tour.

RobinS

Veteran
The first day of your tour is the training for the second day. The second day is training for the third, etc. etc
That's always my answer to this , except it goes as far as first month is good training for the second month, and by the third month you can ride for ever!
Our last big tour we had not ridden our bikes since the previous October, as we had been working the winter in the alps, so our first bike ride for six months was the first day of a three month tour. Went surprisingly well, just kept down to 60-70km per day for the first few days.

Gillstay

Über Member
Depends if the person your going with is fitter than you or not ! If they have just come back from Italy and been scoffing lots of ice cream and pastries then you don't need to bother. But next time you go and they have been racing against electric bikes, then your out of your depth and should have gone out more. ^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
Depends if the person your going with is fitter than you or not ! If they have just come back from Italy and been scoffing lots of ice cream and pastries then you don't need to bother. But next time you go and they have been racing against electric bikes, then your out of your depth and should have gone out more. ^_^

You make touring sound like a race!

I toured last year with a friend who was initially faster than me; he adjusted to my pace, and when he felt like a bit of a sprint then he went ahead to the next cafe.

After a very few days I had speeded up (i put the heavy stuff in his bags and let his tyres down).

Gillstay

Über Member
You make touring sound like a race!

I toured last year with a friend who was initially faster than me; he adjusted to my pace, and when he felt like a bit of a sprint then he went ahead to the next cafe.

After a very few days I had speeded up (i put the heavy stuff in his bags and let his tyres down).

I like to start off similar as I find it enables you to fit together and have a more relaxing jaunt. Don't like to have the edge taken off the days as they are few and far between.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I like to start off similar as I find it enables you to fit together and have a more relaxing jaunt. Don't like to have the edge taken off the days as they are few and far between.

Agreed. That's why I am only cycle touring alone this year - although I always seem to meet like- minded people along the way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Ha ha. A very fit friend of mine rode LEJOG a couple of years back. I tagged along for the first half. As it was his tour I was gatecrashing it was up to me to adapt. I'm sure he eased off a bit for my sake but all the same it was a memorably hard, but very enjoyable, few days.

Jameshow

Veteran
Ha ha. A very fit friend of mine rode LEJOG a couple of years back. I tagged along for the first half. As it was his tour I was gatecrashing it was up to me to adapt. I'm sure he eased off a bit for my sake but all the same it was a memorably hard, but very enjoyable, few days.

You just couldn't keep up with me ..!

Top Bottom