Spectator at the Tour of Britain: advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The nearest place I can get to see the Tour this year is Mansfield, which is about an hour and a half drive from South Staffs. Mrs A and I like to see the riders before the start. Any local knowledge as to things like where to park? We sometimes put the bikes in the car and ride in. Might that be a possible option? Grateful for help.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had thought about going ,saw women's the other year and tbh apart in the flesh bit you do see more on tv

tobykenobi

Über Member
Ah, just the question I was going to ask. The ToB starts the last stage in my town (Worcester) this year and I am torn between going to see the start or cycling to the Malvern climb and cheering them on there. I guess if I get there about 30 minutes before the riders are due I should be able to get somewhere to watch.

Can anyone who has done both able to advise?

OP
OP
Apollonius

Apollonius

Guru
The start is a good option as you can often mix with the riders and get the atmosphere. Most are friendly and will be OK with photos. If you want to get to a climb, I think you would need to be pretty early. The day before, at least, for the classic climbs of the Tour de France. The Tour of Britain will also be very crowded on the climbs. This is now a very popular race, and the entry this year is exceptionally good. The climbs slow the riders down, so you get to see more, but you would still be astonished at the speed they go up. I remember going to a climb on the Chase that takes me an age to get up, and the peloton rode up it chatting as if it wasn't there! Malvern? Give yourself an hour at least to be in a good spot. That is if you are going by bike. Several hours if you are taking a car.

Top Bottom