Speed bump drama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I've spent a bit of time seeking out routes to avoid the busiest places on my commute. Last night I found myself on Atkins Road, heading towards Balham. It's quiet, has a great surface and is slightly downhill on a section as you join it after a sharp turn off the South Circular coming down Streatham Hill.
All is well in the world I'm bowling along with my hands on the bar tops looking at the blossom trees then wallop. I hit a speed bump that knocks my hands off the bars and my upper body falls down in front of the bars. I'm on a fixed travelling downhill so I find myself trapped by the momentum with my face near the stem and my upper arms against the bars. I've been unseated so I can't seem to slow the cadence and the brake levers are out of reach.
I'm wobbling a bit so my first thought is " I'm going to face plant into the road any moment". Somehow I manage to guide the bike across the road up onto the grass verge which loses me enough speed to be able to sit up and slow the pedals down.
As I drop back onto the road and carry on I see a man with a young lad waiting to cross the road (on bikes) who watched the whole thing ( looking a bit stunned).
I said: " That was a bit bit close wasn't it", he agreed.

I carried on with just a bleeding forearm to show for it. Don't know how I managed to stay on.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Blimey. Lucky escape!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow.. good skills.. glad you didn't hit the deck.

Atkins Road.
I went to Richard Atkins School on the road back in the early 70's. Wonder if it's still there?

pawl

Legendary Member
I hit a speed bump,next thing I knew Iwas laying in the road.Result broken collarbone. Must have been doing all of 10 mph.
Never heeled properly.Consultant stated that as I had 90% movement and given my age I was74 and that there was always a risk with any op.,the fact that two years earlier I underwent an eight hour op to replace a malfunctioning Aortic valve replaced did nothing to persuade him that I wasO K a bought going under the knife
Site still aches a bit on occasions.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I remember being on a horse like that

Top Bottom