speed/cadence sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i currently use a edge 800 with a h/r monitor, just wondering what i would gain if i was to buy a speed sensor?
im a 45 year old man who just cycles to try and lose weight and get fitter, ive done 1000 miles in the 3 months since i got my garmin. at first after buying my kit i was impressed with the amount of data i compiled but this novelty wore off so i bought the h/r monitor to keep me interested. i then discovered strava segments that rekindled the competetive streak in me i used to have about 20 years ago!
what in your view would i gain with a speed sensor?
am i best to wait until the novelty of segments wears off to give me another boost or will it compliment strava?
not sure whether to part with £50

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You would gain cadence measurement and wheel based speed and distance measurements (and the ability to record speed/distance data when riding a turbo trainer).

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
You would gain cadence measurement and wheel based speed and distance measurements (and the ability to record speed/distance data when riding a turbo trainer).
thanks, i possibly didnt put over my point as i wanted it, as a middle aged man do i really need this extra data or is it aimed primarily at competetive athletes?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The sensor data will increase the accuracy of your speed and distance measurements as it will go on wheel diameter and rotation, thus accounting for the line taken around bends, weaving about etc GPS, can only do this down to a certain resolution. But it does mean you need to input the wheel circumference accurately.

The cadence data, well I like to see this, especially when on the turbo trainer and no not necessarily only for competitive athlete's, any cyclist can benefit from adjusting their cadence to one that is optimum for them.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It's very useful to be able to see cadence. It'll help develop your technique and can help you prevent knee problems by limiting the chance of mashing gears when you don't realise you are.

If you're a geeky charter like I am, it's greatly satisfying to upload everything to strava and compare power vs cadence. For instance I recently discovered I can push some very heavy gears on ascents and generate a lot of power, but this causes me the occasional knee issue, so I need to try to adjust my technique to increase my cadence without loosing power.

For the £35 or so the sensors cost, it's not a big outlay for a bit more info. Especially compared to the cost of the garmin!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
thanks, i possibly didnt put over my point as i wanted it, as a middle aged man do i really need this extra data or is it aimed primarily at competetive athletes?
Yes you do. I am nearly 43. Oh and I've even fitted a rare earth magnet to my crank rather than the supplied one. Much more aesthetic.

More data to use. It's useful.

Top Bottom