Speed limit consultation (Scotland)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Without enforcement it is totally pointless and a massive waste of money. Perhaps a better bill would be '30 means 30' if you do 30.1 we prosecute.

We have them in large parts on London. However speeds of traffic are either 3mph or 40mph depending whether the roads are clogged or empty.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4905205, member: 9609"]I can't remember the exact figures, but something like 70% exceed the 30 in a 30, but on'ly about 30% exceed 30 in a 20 mph zone. So with a bit of odd logic, it sort of works :wacko:

lets get the 20mph zones installed then we can argue for the enforcement[/QUOTE]
We have them here, and they lost in court.

D

Deleted member 26715

Noticed a planning permission notice on a pole today, Sheffield council are making the whole of the centre 20mph, maybe somebody will have to tell the bus drivers

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Council/police on 20mph zones
Perhaps if primary legislation goes through an appropriate lawmaking body that won't be an issue any more. I wonder if anyone is consulting on such a proposal at the moment?

classic33

Leg End Member
Perhaps if primary legislation goes through an appropriate lawmaking body that won't be an issue any more. I wonder if anyone is consulting on such a proposal at the moment?
Possibly. At present, councils put them in place & leave the enforcement to the police.

We're due a two mile stretch of a 20mph on an "A" road. Knock on effect of that will be ratruns on minor roads not included.

D

Deleted member 26715

Perhaps a better bill would be '30 means 30' if you do 30.1 we prosecute.
ROFL problem is I think you are actually serious

Drago

Legendary Member
I agree with @Milkfloat. Let's have some ruthless, zero tolerance speed enforcement. Caught doing 31? Have an FPN. None of this ten%+2 guidance rubbish.

All cars have speedos. All drivers have at least one functioning eye. All drivers have their own feet on the pedals. Its up to them to behave, not up to society to let them pinch an inch.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
ANPR cameras are cheap enough and technology is advanced enough that entire areas of 20mph could be enforced relatively easily. It would end motorists thinking that speed limits in urban areas are optional.

However, police forces are generally weak willed, and of course if you install them in rural areas it's more ker-ching for them. Hence why you have massive amounts of enforcement on motorways and major roads, and sod all in town.

I pointed out to the dullards at Thames Valley Police that there are scores of places they park camera vans around Oxfordshire including plenty on the M40 where there are no vulnerable road users. But they only have one within the city boundaries itself, despite there are lots of vulnerable cyclists in the city and relatively fewer outside. Got some reply with idiotic excuses along the lines of "well we have all those BRIGHT ORANGE boxes on poles you can see from ages away instead" as you would expect from plod.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The technology exists to build them into cats eyes.
Did that ever exist outside of a Daily Mail masturbationfest?

I can see about zero advantage to having a camera somewhere where it is difficult to power, difficult to keep the lens clean, difficult to maintain, difficult to defend from someone with a common household hammer, just difficult in general actually,

Top Bottom