speed obsession/milestone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I started cycling in October 2010, as part of a weight loss plan and the bike quickly became much more important than my weight. I've always found speed attractive, as a young man I drove far too fast, and that has also transferred to being on the bike.

Now as I've just passed 50, I recognise my potential is limited, but I'm trying to creep my way up through the ranks of 50+ year olds and want to sample different cycling experiences.

Somehow 20mph has been a magical number for me. First time hitting 20 on the flat, first time holding it for a mile, first time holding it for 5 miles were all significant milestones. Now I stay in a town and have all the usual crap in traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc to deal with in getting out of town. Once out there are some good routes around 30-40 miles that I use, but an ambition has always been to break 20mph door-to-door. It has been a struggle, and I've had a couple of weeks off the bike due to a horrible cough/virally thing but the break appears to have done me good.

Anyway to cut a long story short I've just done it this morning! Almost 34 miles at 20.1 mph average. Here's the ride for any doubters among you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204623624

I'm absolutely chuffed and felt the need to share!

Top Bottom