Speeding Evidence: from Smartphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I may well be wrong but I thought the law was that speed camera signs had to be in place in zones where speed cameras are used.

Or are these only for use in such zones?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I may well be wrong but I thought the law was that speed camera signs had to be in place in zones where speed cameras are used.

I think that’s guidelines rather than law and will only apply to police operated cameras anyway.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

In the article it says

Rod King, Founder and Campaign Director for 20's Plenty for Us commented :​
“By allowing communities and local authorities to submit clear and unambiguous evidence of careless and inconsiderate driving this technology will be a game-changer in speed limit enforcement. It allows police forces to align with community needs for compliance without imposing an increased load on the police. We expect it to be welcomed by all those interested in making our communities safer.”

So it looks like their intent is to gather evidence of "careless and inconsiderate driving" - a bit like uploading videos of close passes. It just happens that this will also give (an estimate of) the driver's speed.

Either that or it can be used to put pressure on the authorities to improve enforcement by providing evidence that there is widespread breaking of the limit: "... gather video evidence of speeding for submission to police for processing and enforcement. This paves the way for wider enforcement ..."

I don't think it could be used for just handing out speeding tickets (unfortunately).

Of course we can tie ourselves in knots (if we really want to) by arguing whether or not it's possible to break the speed limit while at the same time driving in a careful and considerate manner.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm almost certain you're wrong because that would prevent police dash cams being used to convict on speeding (which they often are) and here's the Welsh speed camera operator saying "This isn't a legal requirement. The mobile sites operated by GoSafe have no requirement to have a camera warning sign." I think the English and Welsh law on this is the same. Here's a car retailer agreeing that no sign is required: https://www.uk-car-discount.co.uk/news/speed-cameras-facts-myths

mjr

This is bloody awful, do we really want to live in a society where a load of sanctimonious, pious, do gooders take pleasure in dobbing people in. I can imagine what these twits were like at school.
Well, on balance, it would probably be slightly better than living in a society where a load of sanctimonious oafs take pleasure in making other peoples' lives a misery by speeding and whine about being "dobbed in" when they are caught bang to rights doing what they know they shouldn't. I know which twits they were at school, because my school offered courses until 18, so they were already incompetent drivers before they left school!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
This is bloody awful, do we really want to live in a society where a load of sanctimonious, pious, do gooders take pleasure in dobbing people in. I can imagine what these twits were like at school.
What is bloody awful is the number of people killed every year by speeding drivers. If I can prevent just one death by "dobbing someone in", I will quite cheerfully do so. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They have just opened a Bio Gas place near me. I live in a small village and the trucks were thundering through at way over the speed limit at 5am today. So I will be quite happy to dob them in to the police before one of them kills me or one of my neighbours.

mjr

Just out of curiosity had a look at causes of road accidents, the stats might not be correct but surprised me

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/cheap-car-insurance/top-causes-car-accidents-uk
Those stats are being abused slightly. As well as the limitation stated that it's only "accidents" where police attended, I'm almost certain that what they are listing are what are called "contributory factors" by the data collectors, not "causes". The most glaring example of that is the inclusion of "Pedestrian failed to look properly" at number 8 on the list, which may be a contributory factor but can almost never cause a collision by itself if nearby drivers and riders meet the standards (legally-required standard, for drivers).

Top Bottom