Speeding Evidence: from Smartphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don’t understand why everyone feels they want to be a policeman, let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.
In a responsible society the public are the police and the police are the public - the police are merely those members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

That - or words of that nature - is one of Peel's Principles of Policing.

If you see local yobbos beating up an old lady, or breaking the windows of someone's house, would you think 'well I'm not casting the first stone' and all that, and leave the old lady to be murdered for the sake of her pension book and her late husband's ashes, or the away from home person's house be ransacked and vandalised? Or would you call the police?

If I see an idiot driving dangerously and have the ability to safely and adequately identify and record his or her actions for possible use by the police, why would I not do so?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don’t understand why everyone feels they want to be a policeman, let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.
To improve society? I'm really not interested in the app, but I support the idea of community enforcement, in partnership with traffic policing, as well as automated monitoring.
This is bloody awful, do we really want to live in a society where a load of sanctimonious, pious, do gooders take pleasure in dobbing people in. I can imagine what these twits were like at school.
I was a community speedwatch volunteer, because it improved safety on my local roads for 6 local schools and my own kids.
Where can I get my "sanctimonious do gooder" badge?

Not sure where piety comes into it. Have got a rev in the family, but I'm a godless heathen.
No I'm not "without sin", but I accept responsibility/blame for my actions, and the I accept the consequences too. Whilst you would apparently rail against others for your own wrong-doing.

Driving is more chilled if you develop some patience, leave plenty of time, and show some respect to other road users.
If you don't have the temperament for that, speed limiters are good.

Do I take pleasure in dobbing people in?
I can think of someone I'd like to dob in.

Not sure if people realise there are possible consequences. If the chap contests, appearance and testifying in court, having your phone taken away for diagnostics if the app and phone are challenged. So anonymity is not a given.

People have challenged the Police speed gun used and have asked for independent test to check if calibration is done right.

This is not your regular spot the pothole and reporting to council thingy.

Alex321

Veteran
I may well be wrong but I thought the law was that speed camera signs had to be in place in zones where speed cameras are used.

Or are these only for use in such zones?
No, the signs are only required for the police to be able to retain the fines under the "safety camera partnership" schemes.

They are recommended otherwise, but not required.

I can't see how this will be valid though. The regular cameras have to be approved and certified before their results can be used for prosecution. Good luck to them trying to get this app certified.

Gunk

Guru
My understanding is that two police offices need to be present to issue a ticket, I don’t quite understand how Victor Meldrew with his iPhone 5 is going to manage to get a conviction.

Alex321

Veteran
Having just re-read the article, I see that although speed is the main thing they are reporting, they are not expecting them to be prosecuted as speeding offences as such, but rather as careless or inconsiderate driving offences.

Though they list it as Section 59, Police Reform Act 2002, which this technology most absolutely cannot possibly apply to, since that section is all about powers of a "constable in uniform". Which makes me even more dubious about the rest of it.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59

Alex321

Veteran
My understanding is that two police offices need to be present to issue a ticket, I don’t quite understand how Victor Meldrew with his iPhone 5 is going to manage to get a conviction.
That is only true when it is for cases where no measuring device is used, when they need two to provide a corroborating opinion.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
maybe it's more to gather evidence than get convictions. If the public can demonstrate the drivers regularly pass through a village at excessive speeds, then the evidence could be used to get a camera installed?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Having just re-read the article, I see that although speed is the main thing they are reporting, they are not expecting them to be prosecuted as speeding offences as such, but rather as careless or inconsiderate driving offences.
Yup. More people need to read the article before sounding off.

Although, that said, I've long thought that speeding enforcement could be crowd-sourced. Could provide a decent little income stream to those prepared to put in a bit of effort.

These Apps requires certification if they are to be used in this manner. Due process is a key principle in law. This simple principle first appeared in Magna Carta in 1354. His science might be kosher but he should be transparent.

See the very first FAQ question in his site and the answer given. Go see the rest of FAQ, evasive, dodgy etc.

In analogue terms he was asked if the Apple is ripe. He replied that Orange is sweet. The only connection is that they both fruits.

1648800813668.png

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not everything is about convictions. Community speedwatch only ever issues warnings. Educate and deter.

If speedwatch identifies a significant speeding issue, the police enforcement team come to the area (eventually)

Top Bottom