Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I think a car can be discribed as speeding ,if its going too fast a speed for where it is ,at the time,in other words an inapropriate speed for prevailing conditions.

bonj2

I'm not talking about whether limit signs are incorrectly posted or not. I'm more interested in the understood definition of a word.

So you don't think that a car can be described as speeding if it is travelling below the speed limit?

Ah, right, I see what you mean.
I wouldn't describe it as 'speeding' myself if it is travelling below the speed limit, largely because I would assume that whoever I was describing it to would take the word 'speeding' to mean going above the legal limit, however I wouldn't necessarily say it's wrong to use it to simply mean going faster than is safe (whether or not that be below or above the legal limit).
As you seemingly are, I would also be interested to know if anyone else does use it to mean that. I don't know anyone who does apart from you (if you do?), but would hazard a guess that there are people who do.

bonj2

the free dictionary describes it as either,

Moving with speed.

OR,

The act or an instance of driving especially a motor vehicle faster than is allowed by law.

When you're describing something to which no legal speed limit applies, e.g. a formula one car, or a bullet, then it's obviously the first one. e.g. there is no meaning to 'faster than is allowed by law' for a bullet, F1 car, or train, so it's obviously the first one.
Now, the first one is also valid for a car that is driving on the public road, but the mere fact that there's the possibility for it to mean the second one in this instance, steers the interepretation towards ambiguity at the very least. It's this ambiguity you really want to avoid.
Perhaps other words could accompany the word 'speeding' (and/or replace it) to steer the interpretation towards the first definition without the sentence losing the impact it was designed to have? I notice thefreedictionary uses 'adj' for the first one and 'n' for the second, I wonder if that element of language could be used to this effect?
HTH....

Jonathan M

Speeding has to relate to circumstance. A car driving at 70mph on a motorway in heavy fog is speeding, in the same way a car driving at 20 on a housing estate could also be described as speeding, the posted limit may be 30mph, but is it appropriate with parked cars & children playing?

Having said that my personal opinion is that there should be a greater emphasis on speeding where it is likely to endanger the most vulnerable i.e. the smaller urban roads, choke points where peds have to cross busier roads,school etc, rather than the cash cow policies of where speed initiatives seem to be based - large arterial roads,m-ways etc.

longers

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
but it stops examiners getting away with murder.

This could be a good idea to improve driving standards. Give examiners 00 status and they could sort the wheat from the chaff.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I've always thought that the correct legal limit should be were you have total control of your vehicle dependant on the conditions you are driving in, that's what my D.I. taught me anyhow.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Yeah but my dad's bigger than yours.

Paaaarp !!

snorri

Legendary Member
I would describe Honnor Blackman to be "speeding" if she was driving at a speed faster than that which I considered to be safe, regardless of any legal limits.
I don't think the word speeding is ever used in a legal context anyway, is it?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
snorri said:
I would describe Honnor Blackman to be "speeding" if she was driving at a speed faster than that which I considered to be safe, regardless of any legal limits.
I don't think the word speeding is ever used in a legal context anyway, is it?

OK snorri - you can be the official judge of the correct speed.

snorri

Legendary Member
twentysix by twentyfive said:
OK snorri - you can be the official judge of the correct speed.

Not sure that I understand your response 26X25, perhaps I did not make myself clear, I'll try again.:blush:
If I hear someone describe a car as "speeding", I take it to mean the car was being driven faster than the observer considered to be safe, regardless of legal speed limits.

Top Bottom