Speedplay Frog pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LouiseSJPP

Formerly Errecaldia
Although generally, I have little problem with my conventional clipless pedals, I do need a long pedal stroke to get them engaged, which makes starting on steep hills (15% or over) difficult, not to mention scary. I end up exhausting myself, when I should have taken a short break, to keep going until the gradient eases enough to be confident about re-engaging the clips.

So when I saw a set of Speedplays recently, I was interested, they do look a lot easier to get into, especially as they are double sided. But the downside soon became clear on reading around the subject: getting gravel in the cleats when off the bike is a problem.

Then I saw the Speedplay Frogs, but can't find out much about them, other than they are designed to be resistant to dirt ingress. Dare I mention they are really MTB pedals....

Can anyone advise: when hopping off a bike onto a gravely shoulder of the road, are Speedplays a problem, and do the Frogs overcome it? And are the Frogs as good as the original Speedplays for 'normal', ie non(racing, non-competitive, riding?

boydj

Legendary Member
I have had Speedplay Frogs on 3 bikes for many years. I'd call them more of a touring pedal than mtb and found them ideal for commuting, since you can walk in them. They are small, light and secure and I have no thoughts of replacing them. There are no springs involved - the cleats slide in and out and you quickly get used to clipping in and out. I've never had a problem with gravel - even in stop-start riding in heavy traffic on the commute in bad weather. The only downside is that they are more expensive than spd's and if you are doing a lot of stop-start riding, then the cleats will wear out after two or three years and will need to be replaced.

I used Frogs for about a year before switching to Light Action. But in winter, I go back to the Frogs because they are totally problem free in mud, gravel etc. Because the engagement is passive (slide in) rather than active (clip in), your feet CAN come off the pedals unintentionally. I've had it happen on not-particularly-bad London potholes. I would not sprint or climb out of the saddle with Frogs. On the plus side, Frogs do not wear out anything like as quickly as any of Speedplays' road systems, and you don't have the gradually worsening difficulty clipping in and out that you get with the road versions as the cleats wear.

. they are designed to be resistant to dirt ingress.

Yes -- this is because the very motion of engaging the "cleat" pushes any mud/dirt/gravel out the front side of the V-shape insert in the pedal.
.Can anyone advise: when hopping off a bike onto a gravely shoulder of the road, are Speedplays a problem, and do the Frogs overcome it?
I am paranoid about getting ANYthing in my Light Action cleats! Even the tiniest amount of sand will cause them to seize up -- you can clip in with a lot of effort but then not be able to unclip at all! This is simply not an issue with Frogs.

.And are the Frogs as good as the original Speedplays for 'normal', ie non(racing, non-competitive, riding?
I wouldn't say "not as good", just different. Frogs are very well suited for NON-racing, as long as you're aware of the risk of the cleat slipping right out of the pedal interface under load, and don't put yourself in a precarious situation where you might get hurt should this happen.

Last edited:
Never tried frogs and never known anyone who has. I have used normal speedplays for around 4 years and yes twice I have had a problem with mud/sand getting in the cleats and then not being able to get out of them. 1st time was in mud and both cleats jammed I had to stop by coasting into a soft bush. 2nd time sand, luckily the other cleat was free.
If I think I have stood in mud/sand etc I give them a good banging against something to dislodge it. I never use any lubricant on them ( they recommend a dry lubricant) as I dont want to attract grit and find it not neccessary after the first week. I use them 4 days a week commuting and also on the weekend not normally a problem
Unless your like me and want to get into cleats in a flash and sprint off the lights, the cost and other inconveiences probably are not worth it for you. I also like them as they are not so common, but then again I suppose frogs are even rarer.

Although generally, I have little problem with my conventional clipless pedals, I do need a long pedal stroke to get them engaged, which makes starting on steep hills (15% or over) difficult, not to mention scary. I end up exhausting myself, when I should have taken a short break, to keep going until the gradient eases enough to be confident about re-engaging the clips.

So when I saw a set of Speedplays recently, I was interested, they do look a lot easier to get into, especially as they are double sided.

In my experience, Speedplay road pedals are no better/worse than SPDs in the getting-clipped-in-on-a-hill situation. The issue is needing active engagement. Frogs are easier because the slide-in action of just putting your foot on the pedal means you're already "clipped in" before you attempt to set off.

The key for me in getting clipped in with active-engagement systems is to shift up a gear, preferably two, just as I come to a stop. having that little bit extra resistance to push against when starting off gives you a few more seconds to get the other foot clipped in before that pedal has moved full circle and whacked you in the back of the calf!

Top Bottom