Spesh Roubaix Expert 08(with a cheats triple !!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well time has arrived for me to pick up me new bike,was meant to collect it Friday,the LBS mechanic was off sick:sad:, they then sent the wrong groupset :evil:(ultegra instead of ultegra sl) with the bike,which caused a further delay

now i am chomping at the bit to get out on it,but i have to decide on a couple of things-:

a)PEDALS,i am tempted by look keo carbons, anyone had any problems with these pedals
b)BOTTLE CAGES, would you spend £30 on a carbon cage ?
c)WHEELS,they come with Shimano ultegra wheels,someone mentioned i must chamge them? surely they will be ok for the etape 2008

ta in advance for your help !

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There's no meaningful weight saving to be had from bottle cages! However they are a product that need to function well. Save your urge to adorn your bike with bling jewellry to some other component.

On something like the Etape, you must be able to get your botttles in and out with ease and once in, the bottles should stay in even on the roughest descents. If you fumble putting a bottle away or it comes out when you are riding in a pack, it will bring someone down who will then be really pissed off.

Get a pair of Elite Ciussi Gel bottle cages as they work, even with the biggest bottles. Plain and simple.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If you're thinking of kit with an eye on the Etape or other sportives (even in the UK), remember it's not inconceivable you might have to walk some of the route. And this is not a slurr on your prowess, but a fact of life on these events, espeically if there's a steep bottle neck early on in the ride before people have a chance to spread out. Walkability is sometimes a very desirable feature. I like Speedplay Frogs and Sidi mtb shoes.

monnet

Guru
Pedals - I've used look for a long time but they've never been great. I've been meaning to swap to shimano (prob. ultegra) but it's a question of cash - 2 bikes, two sets of pedals, double the setting up. Perhaps when I've got the money.

Bottle cages - I've never felt the need for a fancy cage. The £6 Elite/Spesh/tacx ones are all fine, just make sure that you can fit two into your frame. My frame is too small to take two full wire cages.

Wheels - Ultegra should be fine. Get out ride and swee what you think. The first upgrades are usually tyres then wheels. Get a feel for the wheels (you might like them) and keep your eye out for something that migh be better.

Shaun

Founder
I bought the Spesh plastic red & black bottle cages for mine and they look just fine with a couple of white Spesh bottles in them.

Wheels haven't moved at all in over 500 miles (some of the roads on my commute are akin to on-road MTB'ing they're so bad) ... and I put black Shimano double-sided SPD's on it so I could stick with my existing shoes. :rolleyes:

Cracking bike, I love mine.

They do have 25mm wide, rather soft compound tyres on - but that just adds to the ride comfort. (I thought they were a bit naff at first, but I've got used to them now and they do help soak up the bumps :smile:).

One of the fun parts for me was showing it off to my workmates - they just couldn't believe how lightweight it was. :biggrin:

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Shaun

kyuss

Veteran
I agree with Tim Bennet. You need bottle cages that work well, and you'd be surprised at how many don't. There is nothing more annoying than having to listen to your bottle rattling about over rough ground.

I had the road version of the specialized cages Admin pointed out in his post above and they worked brilliantly for a while, but I found that the rubber bit on the front of the cage loosens over time (like a worn rubber band) and the bottles become less secure. The new version does away with this piece of rubber and seems to work much better (so far).

Aperitif said:
So, gezza, did you get much oil on the pillow last night when you were cuddling 'The Special One'..? (Don't forget to knock on the shed door and shout "Dzien dobry" on your way out on a test run! :biggrin: )

:smile: :rolleyes:

test run is cancelled ,my garden is now resmbling a war site ,thanks to the wind:evil: dont fancy a ride in that !!!!! i shall gawp and drool all day

my lbs have said to me that i should test the bottle cages and see how i get on with them ,if i dont like them after a week they will chamge them for me(providing no scratches) for nowt

ditto with the wheels,saddle or anything in general

NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A DECENT LOCAL BIKE STORE !!!!

simonali

Guru
I once paid £30 for a USE carbon cage, but it was a BOGOF offer at the bike show! Very light and very grippy. Dunno if you can still get them?

Top Bottom