Spiders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Do you mean "Biologist studies Tarantulas" i wish that was my job.
we learn so much from nature

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nature is just endlessly fascinating. Don't worry that it's a waste of money, there will be practical applications for this, an understanding of evolution underpins all of modern biology, and therefore medicine. But it's the desire to learn for its own sake that has driven the development of our own species. I think it's really important that academics have the freedom to study anything and everything that interests them, that's how real progress happens.

winjim

Smash the cistern
They imagine that just because an organism can produce a variant it is Evolution. The observation is science, the conclusions aren't.
The observation has been looked at in a wider context, which has led the researchers to their conclusion. What would be your conclusion? And have you read the paper, or just the BBC news article?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Don't sleep on your back with your mouth open. Spiders like to bungee jump. Just saying.

This is true - I found a drowned one in my bedside glass of water a few months back.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is that a no? Or are you complaining because I disagree with you?
I'm complaining because this thread could have been an interesting discussion about convergent evolution of colour in the absence of sexual selection, and also about why scientists choose to study what they do (which is actually more relevant to the OP). Instead it's become a tedious argument about the validity of the theory of evolution, and indeed the very definition of the word evolution. You are not disagreeing with only me, you are disagreeing with pretty much the entire scientific community and calling into question a theory which has become accepted as being as close to a fact as it's possible to get, within the bounds of rigorous scientific enquiry. You are either scientifically ignorant, or trolling. Possibly both.

Have you read the research paper under discussion? It's linked to in the BBC article. And what is your opinion about the value of this type of research to society?

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I'm complaining because this thread could have been an interesting discussion about convergent evolution of colour in the absence of sexual selection, and also about why scientists choose to study what they do (which is actually more relevant to the OP). Instead it's become a tedious argument about the validity of the theory of evolution, and indeed the very definition of the word evolution. You are not disagreeing with only me, you are disagreeing with pretty much the entire scientific community and calling into question a theory which has become accepted as being as close to a fact as it's possible to get, within the bounds of rigorous scientific enquiry. You are either scientifically ignorant, or trolling. Possibly both.

Have you read the research paper under discussion? It's linked to in the BBC article. And what is your opinion about the value of this type of research to society?

In Cafe?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If the Tarantula species have evolved this blue colour 8 separate times, that'll be once for each leg. :okay:
but what if it was this little chap

spiderdrawing.gif

Top Bottom