Spiders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
but what if it was this little chap

spiderdrawing.gif
He must have evolved differently. But without eyewitness testimony, it's hard to be certain. :okay:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If the Tarantula species have evolved this blue colour 8 separate times, that'll be once for each leg. :okay:

That has now inspidered a scientist to test that theory until he is blue in the face.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod note:
I know this is the cafe, but as mentioned above it should be possible to have a lighthearted conversation/discussion about spiders. Digressions are usually fine in the cafe, but in this case it looks likely to take over the whole thread.

Evolution, and whether you 'believe' in it or not is a separate topic. If you want to discuss that, please start your own thread (either in cafe or in SC&P).

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Not ignored, just not seen, and actually the OP's point was that people are paid to do this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34944735
I wasn't referring to you, your posts were all made before my Mod request a few posts above this.

And yes, people are paid to investigate lots of different things to do with genetics etc - paid for by applying for research grants and the like.
Great, innit? I'm perfectly happy for my taxes to be spent on such things. [any discussion on what I'm not happy for my taxes to be spent on will be wandering dangerously close to SC&P territory...]

People get paid to do this am I missing something
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34944735
Yes. They are paid what would be an entry level graduate wage (if that), on a short term contract with no job security after a minimum of 10 years post-secondary education because they love it, or they think it's important. Most have skills that would get them paid 5 to 10 times as much in banking if they chose to change careers Which a lot of them end up doing because they can't find the next position, they get tired of living year to year not knowing which hemisphere the next job will be in, they want to raise a family, they get sick of people asking "you get paid to do that?", or they just say to themselves "f*ckit! that's a lot of money!"

Top Bottom