Spin class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I have membership to a brand new gym close by. Mainly joined for classes and it’s swimming pool. I can’t be a weight lifting knuckle dragger and expect to climb like Simon Yates.
The question is would spin class be beneficial to us cycle types or should I just go out for a ride??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It helps, but if you don't mind silly exercises on a bike, it's fine. You might just perspire to death. Not my cup of tea as I need two fans on full speed, in a cold garage in winter on my turbo. 25c and no air cooling, no ta.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not sure how much endurance you will get in what is normally a 40 minute workout. I would as I always do say try it, what have tou got to lose.

Nothing ventured and all that stuff.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Not sure how much endurance you will get in what is normally a 40 minute workout. I would as I always do say try it, what have tou got to lose.

Nothing ventured and all that stuff.
I can try. They also have a watt bike and I have the app. It will do until I buy an elite direto smart trainer.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My other half spins three times a week in the winter. Also does legs bums and tums. Helps her a lot. It makes it easier for her when she started coming out again earlier this year. Well worth doing if you cant get out on the bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I agree with @derrick especially during the winter when it may not be possible to ride much or at all for some.

In my mind it is no substitute for the real thing but any form of exercise is beneficial.

Spin classes will help, the amount depends on the class type and instructor.

Weights will also help, along with core work. These will also help prevent injury in my experience.

Sometimes a change is as good as a rest or so they say

Sixmile

Veteran
I also think of spin as all of the worst of cycling with none of the good bits.

Saying that, I know some folk and that's the only bike they're ever on. My FIL, even in summer with a spanking new bike in the garage, will drive twice a week to sit in a windowless, poorly ventilated room for his spin session.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Anything that has you turning pedals is gonna help to some degree. I’d rather invest the gym membership outlay on a decent smart trainer, knock the gym sessions on the head and subscribe to something like Zwift for 12.99 a month. If it’s ftp you’re looking to improve, Zwift have a 12 week programm dedicated to this.
Gets some weights for added core work and maintaining muscle mass and you’re good to go. Weight training will have absolutely no beneficial effect on your cycling, but it’s a good thing to be doing nonetheless.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Anything that has you turning pedals is gonna help to some degree. I’d rather invest the gym membership outlay on a decent smart trainer, knock the gym sessions on the head and subscribe to something like Zwift for 12.99 a month. If it’s ftp you’re looking to improve, Zwift have a 12 week programm dedicated to this.
Gets some weights for added core work and maintaining muscle mass and you’re good to go. Weight training will have absolutely no beneficial effect on your cycling, but it’s a good thing to be doing nonetheless.
I go to spin classes at my gym twice a week, and my turbo has been blocking my booze cupboard for at least six months... like to think of it as helping me be healthier without being used...

Point being @Milzy, have a think if either scenario is more appealing. I go for a spin with a friend I drag along, so that probably sways me towards heading out.

Also, I am a skinflint who hates mould on my grout, so I always have a luxuriously long gym shower.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Yes it will help, I’ve been doing spin twice a week, plus using the turbo trainer through winter & this year my fitness has stayed pretty much where it was before the grotty weather started, if anything I’ve improved having done just shy of 50 miles a couple of weeks back, with about 1300 meters of climbing, but I do like to give it some welly at spin, yes the exercises are a bit silly, but the squatting one hurts your legs which is good practice for climbing when they hurt, you can practice ignoring the pain which is good, as Jensie said shut up legs and do what I tell you to do! you’ll probably find your better at spin then those who have been going for ages

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Our club runs a spinning class during the winter aimed at TTers, triathletes and those, like me, just wanting to maintain some level of fitness. Works well - no silly up and downs in the saddle every two seconds or squats, just a variety of longer or shorter intervals.

Top Bottom