Spinning Spacers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Hey,

Just taken delivery of a spanking gorgeous CAAD10.

I'm yet to ride as I got it mail ordered and am checking everything is copacetic.

I've hit my one and only problem. The spacers underneath my stem spin freely. It's my first ever Carbon steerer, I dont want to just tighten something and hear it crack...

So. Should they spin? If not, how do I stop it?

For reference, every single part between stem and frame can spin.

Help appreciated.

It just needs nipping up. It will have been loosened to turn the bars for packaging.

Only tighten the top cap though, 6mm allen wrench. The inner bolt, 5mm allen head should be preset and should not need to be touched.

stems.jpg

Which CAAD did you get?

boydj

Legendary Member
Loosen stem bolts beforehand.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
You should remove the cap to make sure that the spacers or stem actually are showing above the steerer column so that when you tighten the cap it is tightening against the spacer or stem. The purpose of the cap is to load the bearings in the headset, so don't overtighten. The stem bolts hold everything together and are done up nice and tight.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
It just needs nipping up. It will have been loosened to turn the bars for packaging.

Only tighten the top cap though, 6mm allen wrench. The inner bolt, 5mm allen head should be preset and should not need to be touched.

stems.jpg

Which CAAD did you get?

Thank you. Loves me a clear diagram.

I got a CAAD 10 105. £1400 down to £999 at Westbrook Cycles. Amazing company to deal with. I wanted the £1450 (From £1900) CAAD10 with Ultegra and carbon crank but I couldn't justify the extra £450, plus I preferred the bike in white.

Great stuff. I've had my CAAD10 for about 14 months, and I absolutely love it. In fact I much prefer it to the full carbon bikes I had before this.

It will be a number of years before I can even consider a new bike of this calibre, but when I can I just hope thet Cannondale contiune their CAAD develepment program.

Don't forget to post up some pics of your beasite as well :thumbsup:

buddha

Veteran
You say the spacers underneath the stem spin freely. This would mean that the stem is not correctly fitted yet. And there will be some 'play' when you brake - not a good thing.
Does the stem also move - relative to the forks?
It looks like you will have to loosen the stem bolts as well, and then 'tighten' the top cap, then tighten the stem bolts - as you would usually do.
On my bikes with carbon steerers, I don't have/use a torque wrench. I just don't use the allen key like a gorilla;)

MisterStan

Label Required
Thank you. Loves me a clear diagram.

I got a CAAD 10 105. £1400 down to £999 at Westbrook Cycles. Amazing company to deal with. I wanted the £1450 (From £1900) CAAD10 with Ultegra and carbon crank but I couldn't justify the extra £450, plus I preferred the bike in white.
Just got a Giant TCR Composite 3 from them - 105/Tiagra mix - £1300 down to £999 - like you say, wonderful people to deal with.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Thanks to all here, bike sorted. Rides like nothing that came before it.

Photos will follow when I'm off of it for long enough to take some.

Top Bottom