Split inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stul

Veteran
Hi all, just had my first puncture on the rear wheel of my Raleigh Centros, (Hub gears and belt...oh dear).
I have managed to get the rear wheel off and it was not as bad as I thought, (thank you Youtube).
However I note that the inner tube is of "split" variety...and I have never come across these before. Just wandering what the advantages are, eg are they designed so that you can change them without taking the wheel off?
Also where to get replacements, I have done a google search around "spilt inner tubes", and nothing really comes up?
Many thanks for any help...

roley poley

Über Member
try entering "double ended inner tubes"there is also a thread on cyclechat

OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
..brill, many thanks for all the replies..."double ended" does seem a more logical name, (the Raleigh website calls them "split"), and things now Google!
At least I know how to take the rear wheel off now, it looked a bit complicated at first but actually fairly straightforward following the youtube vid....just hope it goes back together now!

OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
OK, I managed to patch the tyre and get the wheel back in..but what a pain! Not sure it would be that easy to change while "en route", but I think I will try and get a spare "double ender" as well as carrying a patch kit, at least it gives me some options....

..and thanks for all the comments.

OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
please don't enter double ender in your search engine as it really won't be what your looking for!!!:blush:

...brill..lol...just what I needed after a frustrating day trying to get my rear wheel back on.... :smile:

Top Bottom