Splitting a 10spd chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I need to replace my 10spd Campag chain, the bumf that came with the chain shows a pic of a type of chain tool that I do not own. I've used the tool on my TopPeak Alien for all my chain needs in the past quite happily - could I damage the chain with this?

A search online for tools shows some advertise as being suitable for 10 spd but my Alien is a good few years old.

I'd give it a go but having paid £15quid for the Chorus chain and having not done a Campag chain before I really don't fancy having to buy another one.

Ta.

yenrod

Longers as far as Im aware Campag are ok to split though the design may have changed; the ends of the pin may be 'peened over' this makes it seriously difficult to push the pin out with the any chain-tool.

KMC are like this and so, you can only shorten the chain to the correct length using some serious welly - pushing the pins out, THEN connect with a/the Powerlink.

If its not peened over i'd just go for it.

If its peened over it means you have to use a (power)link if its that type of chain ????????

Peened Over means the pin is stamped both sides

yenrod said:
KMC are like this and so, you can only shorten the chain to the correct length using some serious welly - pushing the pins out, THEN connect with a/the Powerlink.

Peened Over means the pin is stamped both sides

I can vouch for this, having just fitted a new KMC chain. A normal splitter will budge it, but I ended up using pliers to give myself some leaverage on it.

Joe

Über Member
I've had no problem splitting a campag 10 speed chain with a standard chain tool. Make sure you use a powerlink (or alternative) to join it though, as using the campag joining pin with anything other than the (ridiculously expensive) campag chain tool is really tricky and asking for trouble.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The small chain tools can be hard to split the links - I've got a small old one with a tiny handle, but treated myself to a decent one with a good hand grip...dead easy...

I thought you had ten sprockets - didn't dare ask what your biggest sprocket was on the Snake - I seemed to be honking rather a lot more on my 21...:sad:

yenrod

joebe said:
I can vouch for this, having just fitted a new KMC chain. A normal splitter will budge it, but I ended up using pliers to give myself some leaverage on it.

Thats is so correct :sad:: they are near enough welded into the chains, are those pins ! :ohmy:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
- didn't dare ask what your biggest sprocket was on the Snake - I seemed to be honking rather a lot more on my 21...:sad:

Easy life for me - 25.

Top Bottom