Splitting a chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
I hate opening up a chain. Every time I try to make sure the pin doesn't come off the end it does.:smile:

No matter how carefuly I turn the handle on the chaintool I always seem to turn it a 1/2 turn too much

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this.

ta,

skwerl

be more careful

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I use removable links on all my chains (either the SRAM jobbie or Wipperman connex) so that planned removals don't involve chain tools. I also carry a removable link on any ride. I've never had any problems with them, even with the narrower 10 speed chains.

Remember that most 10 speed chains will not be designed to have links partially removed and then reset although it can be done (luckily for me :smile::becool:). Certainly the Shimano ones recommend a special replacement pin......

31892550.jpg

jimboalee

The rivet you push out when shortening a chain is not used when the chain goes on the bike.
You use a quick link.
Chains are only shortened.
If you make a cock-up, use two quick links to stitch in the half link between them.

I have found that if you try to push the rivet back into place, the end of the rivet shaves a slither off the plate and the rivet is loose from then on.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Get a new chain splitter. Most are made so that when you screw it in as far as you can, the rivet is exactly in the right position - ie, free of the roller, but still held by the plate. Mine have always worked like this, and I buy the cheap and cheerful option.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
My Park Tools mini chain splitter doesnt have the thing where you screw it in far as you can and it will be right. How i do it is take it out so far, unscrew the widget rivet extractor then give the chain a slight pull to see if its far enough, then take it back in and give it small turns. Dont do half turns, thats way too much i think.
I also love to split chains, so taking it slowly just makes the enjoyment last longer!!!:smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
It's a feel thing

02GF74

Über Member
yep - do it in stages. once you see the pin come out the other side, try splitting the chain - you can do this by bending it - if not, then give it one more turn, repeat - sooner or later the chain will come apart.

Top Bottom