Spoke Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I did wonder whether that was the solution to @Marmion's woes - take his plain bottle-caps and nail them upside down to the floor.

Incidentally, while clearing up the bottle of my second-favourite mass-produced and evilly mega-brew-corp beer which had smashed on my ceramic tiled kitchen floor (bah humbug and other Hobgoblinish words) that my favourite mass-produced and evilly mega-brew-corp beer had a plain bottle-cap. I still like it, though.

srw

Oh, and apologies to @theclaud for hijacking her serious thread abour serious cycling. To make up for it perhaps I should invite her and @Patrick Stevens to drop in one evening for a mess of pottage? His speciality, just aubergine and carnation petals. With a six-hundred-pound bottle* of Miel du Pape, a feast fit for a king.

*My go-to weekday wine.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'll be the Devil's Advocate.
I had a dodgy freehub a couple of years ago. It wasn't the sort that could be easily taken to pieces and regreased. Specialized told me that. YouTube offered some work-arounds but they sounded distinctly iffy. A new freehub would cost about £25. The rims on the back wheel were quite worn. Those on the front one were pristine.
It didn't require a genius to realise that, financially, it would make sense to replace both wheels with a new, better pair for £115 all up.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
[QUOTE 3769338, member: 9609"]its taken me nearly all day but I have finally found the appropriate word

Unless you have some modern bike with components made out of materials I can't even begin to imagine - old spokes are something worth keeping a hold of, with steel coat hangers becoming thin on the ground, bike spokes are the ideal gauge of wire for fixing and holding things together with - easily fashioned with a pair of pliers...[/QUOTE]

Cheers steptoe I'll give you a call next time I need a backscratcher.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been experimenting recently with knitting using copper wire. It's difficult. I suppose I could use old spokes to practice with, but I think that would be even more difficult.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 3769338, member: 9609"]its taken me nearly all day but I have finally found the appropriate word

Unless you have some modern bike with components made out of materials I can't even begin to imagine - old spokes are something worth keeping a hold of, with steel coat hangers becoming thin on the ground, bike spokes are the ideal gauge of wire for fixing and holding things together with - easily fashioned with a pair of pliers...[/QUOTE]

Give over! The intact spokes are going to be retained as spares, the broken ones offered (as with anything made of steel) to my friend Dr Evil, in case it is useful in furthering his nefarious purposes. This is a picture of him fixing something using a spoke:

Dr-Evil's-Laboratory.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Old spokes make excellent drumsticks, one can get quite a deep beat and satisfying sound from a Quality Street tin with a large rag stuffed into it.

Or one could before Mrs Smokin' Joe suggested a rather unattractive and uncomfortable use that said spokes could be put to if I didn't stop.

Last edited:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Wish I had a supervillain acquaintance. The most interesting one I have is Elmer Fudd, who hates that wascally wabbit.

That contraption just below Dr Evil's chin looks like an old fashioned slide projector which has been retrofitted with a Gatling gun crank so he can fire off holiday snaps at a torrid pace; having failed to invent Youtube and other moving-picture-type mechanisms, he insists on ingenius but frankly bizarre amalgamations of technology.

As for spokes, I know less than Dr No; I'm here to suck up knowledge.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
That contraption just below Dr Evil's chin looks like an old fashioned slide projector which has been retrofitted with a Gatling gun crank so he can fire off holiday snaps at a torrid pace; having failed to invent Youtube and other moving-picture-type mechanisms, he insists on ingenius but frankly bizarre amalgamations of technology.
It looks like a milling machine with a rotary table to me!

srw

Give over! The intact spokes are going to be retained as spares, the broken ones offered (as with anything made of steel) to my friend Dr Evil, in case it is useful in furthering his nefarious purposes. This is a picture of him fixing something using a spoke:

View attachment 94057
So evil that he's had a steel cable embedded in his right arm and connected to a strap on his left wrist so that he's constrained. Presumably his minders unlock the strap when he's safely away from his evil shed.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You're into nearly re-building the wheel with this, so you'll need to set up some kind of jig to make sure it stays round and true. Old forks with zip ties and watch the wheel dish too.
I was in two minds whether to confess that I intended to ignore Crackle's advice. Guilt has got the better of me. I am aware that this is the proper way to do things, but I have never done anything more spokey than replacing a single one before so I was a bit nervous about using what I intend to be a workhorse bicycle as wheel-building practice, in case I made a hash of it. So my plan was to replace the spokes one at a time, approximating the tension of unborked ones in the same position, even up the tensions by ear, and then hand the not-quite-true result to Dr Evil to tweak into trueness with his more experienced hand and eye. This appears to have worked. Is this cowboy method generally frowned upon by proper wheelpeeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom