Spoke loose, nothing to tighten up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
All very strange indeed - at least it's sorted now.

My best guess is that the spoke snapped off at the thread (cheap spokes?) and the nipple including the end of the spoke (a few threads or so) IS still inside the rim, if it's a double walled type - and I bet it's still lodged in there somewhere even now (or it fell out during the repair and nobody noticed)!

e-rider

crappy member
Actually, thinking about it, and from experience, it probably wouldn't just fall out. You would have to try very hard to remove it even with the rim tape removed. So I'm sure it's still in there. If it was lodged somewhere it might not rattle about unless you really shake it about. I still think it's still in there now.

02GF74

Über Member
weird. some rims have eyelets so thaat may have pulled out but then it will be still sitting on the spoke.

it can end up inside the rim; the rotation of the wheel - centrifual force will be enough to make it stick to the rim, no need for rim tape glue.

was it ever fitted?

Definately fitted. I have checked since the hub and spokes were fitted several times, `ping` test and in pairs, all present and correct.
I rode 60 odd miles on Monday then parked the bike up at home. Later when I wheeled it out of the shed on its back wheel, it dropped down a small step and I heard a buzzing vibration from the wheel.
That was the spoke with no nipple!

MartinC

Über Member
What sort of rim is it? Unless it's a double wall single eyelet rim the nipple can't have disappeared into the rim. If it's an aero or semi aero rim then there would be more room for this.

MartinC

Über Member
Alex site shows the DA22 as a semi-aero rim with no eyelets. That nipple must be wedged in the rim somewhere - plenty of room and it could get in easily.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bump

Folks, this happened to me today, the nipple is definitely inside the rim as you can hear it rattling when the wheel rotates. How urgent is this to be repaired, should iI stay off the bike until sorted?

MacBludgeon said:
Bump

Folks, this happened to me today, the nipple is definitely inside the rim as you can hear it rattling when the wheel rotates. How urgent is this to be repaired, should iI stay off the bike until sorted?

You should get it done soon and try and not push the wheel as hard as you would do. You 'can' ride on a wheel with a 1/4 of the spokes out!!;)

Top Bottom