Spoke replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all,

This bike lark is getting right up my nose - I just want to train, not repair bikes every blooming day!

For some unknown reason the a spoke snapped on my scirocco 35 rear today, just a few minutes ago while trouble shooting some unknown problem on the turbo.

Assuming the rest of the wheel is ok, is it simply a case of replacing the spoke?

No doubt I have to buy some unique and ridiculously expensive single use tool that doesn't work to do it as well - my vein is open, just draw as much blood as you want Wiggle/Merlin/Ribble/etc.

No I'm happy as larry really.

lpretro1

Depends on whether you wheel is a standard spoked wheel. If it is it is relatively straightforward - you need to remove the cassette and you'll need a spoke key. The wheel may need to be trued as well but you can do that without using a wheel jig - if you know what you are doing. Some wheels have different spokes which may require other tools. If you let us know what wheel can advise better

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If the wheel is newish I'd get back to the store that sold it.

You usually have to buy a spoke kit with Campag (circa £20) - personally I can't be bothered so I just measure the length of the spoke and use a Mavic spoke of the same length which are available singly and are just as good.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
If the wheel is newish I'd get back to the store that sold it.

You usually have to buy a spoke kit with Campag (circa £20) - personally I can't be bothered so I just measure the length of the spoke and use a Mavic spoke of the same length which are available singly and are just as good.

Bought last summer but not put together and used until March.

It seems they sell left and right hand spokes separately and a special tool for it as well :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
@Tin Pot it would be more cost/time effective to visit your local lbs.

The only reason I was on this bike is because I gave up on bike #1 and put it in the LBS!

I think I may just give up maintaining bikes for the next three months and use the LBS.

I should have three race ready bikes by now, instead of none.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think I may just give up maintaining bikes for the next three months and use the LBS.
I should have three race ready bikes by now, instead of none.
Yes, I know the feeling.
The only reason why I started learning basic bike mechanics was because, working shifts, I could never get to the lbs and get the bike back for commuting.
I just kept buying more bikes to stay on the road :laugh:
At N+4 I decided to work on my repair skills, still not tackled spokes though.

Same thing here, every bike I bought was because my others were out of action for one reason or another. It's a nice feeling when you get them all running smoothly again, but given the mileage I do, I always know it's only a matter of time...

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
The left/right spokes are a different length on a rear wheel.

Closer examination this morning I need one of each as there is a slight bend in another spoke - I must've hit the turbo trainer or something.
IMG_8238.JPG

But I'm getting closer to the turbo problem that made me get off in the first place...
IMG_8239.JPG

I can't see the bent spoke but I can see a few twisted spokes. This is pretty common with flat spokes. It doesn't mean they are twisted, just turned a little and are now facing the wrong way. That's not a problem. Just turn them back. Put a shifting spanner on the flat blade adjacent to the round bit and turn.

Those spokes are not proprietary spokes at all. The image I saw when I searched for the wheel was one with chunky aluminium spokes. This one uses standard straight-pull and J-bend spokes which are bladed. You can use round ones instead and save a lot of money and get them quicker since any good bike shop will have some.

Top Bottom