Spoke Sticks - Anybody tried them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came across these on a german roadbike forum, had never seen them before (and can't find any online in the UK either), but they look pretty good!

All the german roadies appear to share the same disdain for bog standard wheel reflectors, but in the picture gallery, many have those "spoke sticks" fitted instead (usually just one or 2 on each wheel). Apparently they even meet the legal requirements for wheel reflectors.

I'm quite tempted as they look far nicer than normal reflectors and I don't want to get rid of reflectors completely as half my commute is always in the dark...

Has anybody tried them? Any views? Do they exist over here?

https://www.multisellershop.de/speichenreflektor-speichensticks.html

Ben M

Those pictures are pants, am I right in thinking that they are long and thin and you put them along a couple of your spokes?

If so, they sound pretty cool =]

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Chrisz said:
Didn't even know there was a "Legal requirement for wheel reflectors" :blush:

No reflectors on my wheels!
There isn't any legal requirement to use them in the UK. They have to be present when the (complete) bike is first sold, but you are free to take them off as soon as you get out of the shop door.
They probably are required in Germany.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Weird...I went on it and my Norton stayed completely silent! :biggrin:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The trouble with spoke reflectors is that they can rarely prevent a collision - anything that illuminates the reflectors while you're moving won't hit you, because you'll be gone by the time they get there (unless you're moving very slowly or they deliberately follow you).

Jobst Brandt recommends sticking small silver reflective patches (Halfords sell them) between your spoke nipples for about 1/3 of the rim. This gives a more useful flashing effect when a car is following you. It's quite striking.

GrahamG

Guru
rogerzilla said:
Jobst Brandt recommends sticking small silver reflective patches (Halfords sell them) between your spoke nipples for about 1/3 of the rim. This gives a more useful flashing effect when a car is following you. It's quite striking.

Thanks for that - something I'd not considered. Only thing is that you have to remember to keep cleaning the brake dust off! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
My winter hack bike's front wheel is full of them, well, one on every other spoke, thanks to my Editor getting a bulk bag to try out...

It's hard to tell from a riding position, of course, but riding with some companions who came towards me, they said they did provide the odd eyecatching flash.

I think the main idea, like with reflective tyre sidewalls, is to catch the lights of a car coming along a road while you wait to pull out from a side road. Although if you could see the car coming, you'd be daft to pull out.

On the other hand, they weigh bugger all and are easy to fit, so I reckon there's no harm in them - the more reflectives you have, the better...

Top Bottom