Spoke tension 111mm spoke length avelon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Can I ask why you have bought a spoke tension meter? Unless you are planning to build wheels they're not usually in everyone's toolbox. Does the wheel run true? And if the wheel needed truing have you got the right size spoke key? If you look on YouTube there are many videos that will explain spoke tensions or how to true a wheel. If you are concerned you have loose spokes then it's easy to tighten them with the right tool but you have also to keep the wheel running true by either using the brake blocks as a point of reference or by using a wheel truing rig.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I can't watch the full vid, I'm afraid it becomes obvious in the first 20-30 seconds that you don't have a clue what you are doing or what the tool is for.
Try building a wheel, If you have the 'feel' for it you will know what the spoke tensions are from the resistance at the spoke key. As an amateur who has built dozens of wheels I have never needed a spoke tensionometer to tell me the difference between one spoke to the next.
I'm not saying I haven't built duff wheels, just recently had to rebuild a wheel after spokes started to tear out of the rim, but this was a general over-tension situation rather than an imbalance.
The tensionometer is really for the microscopic wheel building analysis if you don't have a natural feel for mechanical things.

the snail

Guru
I'd suggest reading the guide on Sheldon Brown's site, or getting hold of a book like Roger Musson's, and reading up on the whole process of truing/tensioning/stress relieving. I've never used a tension meter, but you should have instructions for it, and how to convert readings to tension values so you can aim for particular tensions. I've always just plucked the spokes and tried to get them sounding roughly the same. You don't need to be totally exact.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Setting aside the tensiometer for a moment, you seem to be asking whether your spokes are tight enough or not, and whether having different tensions in different spokes is OK. As @the snail said, Roger Musson is an acknowledged source here and well worth exploring. He has a site at wheelpro.co.uk where he makes the following observations about tensiometers:
  • A tensiometer is not a magic cure for obtaining good wheels.
  • If your wheels are working and do everything expected of them then you don't need a tensiometer. If your wheels are not working as intended then read the previous point!
  • Without a means of checking them a tensiometer can only give you an approximation to the numerical tension and sometimes they can be a long way out.

The above concludes a very thorough and helpful article about spoke tension which may help with your own questions.

This article by Aljaž Trenta goes into some of the theory behind spoke tension. It might be more detailed than you need, but covers some useful general principles which might also help.

I'm afraid it becomes obvious in the first 20-30 seconds that you don't have a clue what you are doing or what the tool is for
Bit harsh, given that @allstargeorge is asking for help.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
I agree with @Dogtrousers
Do ball bearings wear out faster if my tires are pumped up at maximum psi shown on the tire?
do you think the viniguar on the concrete floor freshly sprayed on it could eat the tires from outside in or is it okay since it eat rubber as I'm told
Do you think I can I can fix this tear from behind [sidewall crack from inside the tyre] with a normal tube repair kit? [Note: Dutch repair kit image attached] I did not camp it for 24 hours, I was inpatient. [Maybe: I did not leave the repair it for 24 hours before inflating , I was too impatient.
I'm living in a garbage can and I have not much money.
I just made this video
We have seen the OP ( https://www.cyclechat.net/members/allstargeorge.107470/ ) ask rather odd questions before: attempts to establish what the question was didn't get very far and none of the threads added to the corpus of knowledge (imo). This video seems like click bait (I have not clicked). Also if the OP "lives in a garbage can and hasn't much money" then why on earth have they procured a spoke tensionmeter?

OP
OP
A

allstargeorge

These are just question. And remember no question is too silly to ask right? Well this one is about spoke tension setup but but the rim brand is unknown. 😂

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I know the answer now. Thanks everyone. 🚴
Is the answer 'Don't ask the question'? :wacko:

OP
OP
A

allstargeorge

Can I ask why you have bought a spoke tension meter? Unless you are planning to build wheels they're not usually in everyone's toolbox. Does the wheel run true? And if the wheel needed truing have you got the right size spoke key? If you look on YouTube there are many videos that will explain spoke tensions or how to true a wheel. If you are concerned you have loose spokes then it's easy to tighten them with the right tool but you have also to keep the wheel running true by either using the brake blocks as a point of reference or by using a wheel truing rig.

Because its shiny. And I like to buy useless tools and trow it in the trash after hearing that I don't really need it.

OP
OP
A

allstargeorge

I agree with @Dogtrousers

We have seen the OP ( https://www.cyclechat.net/members/allstargeorge.107470/ ) ask rather odd questions before: attempts to establish what the question was didn't get very far and none of the threads added to the corpus of knowledge (imo). This video seems like click bait (I have not clicked). Also if the OP "lives in a garbage can and hasn't much money" then why on earth have they procured a spoke tensionmeter?
I actually got a response from a tire manufacturer for this question. They said it's save to spray vinegar on bike tires. 😅

Top Bottom