Spoke Tension?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Hey,

Just noticed one of my rear spokes (and a few at the front) are quite loose (bendable with my finger!). How should I go about sorting this out? I'm a big fella (16st) so any wheel problems are only exacerbated by poor spoke tension.

Cheers!

Pauluk

Best thing is probably take it to a bike shop and get them to do it, shouldn't cost a lot. If it were me I'd just use my spoke tool to re-tighten them to roughly the same tension as the others while keeping an eye on the wheel true between the brake blocks. Then just keep an eye out to make sure the wheels stays true as you go for a few rides.

If you are concerned then use your LBS.

gwhite

Über Member
Given your weight, truing the spokes yourself may give you some short reprieve but it's likely that there will be spoke breakage at some point. If the spokes are evenly tensioned and de-stressed by someone who knows what they are doing, then the wheel should remain seviceable for a considerable time.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Right, sounds like a plan then. I don't really have a LBS in town of 60k (seriously!) so I shall have to find one. Thank you!

How much should it set me back?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If it's a nice bike take it to the LBS, if you're 'ahem' prepared to take a risk then get a spoke key and give it a crack yourself. The way it was explained to me is that each of your spokes should ring with a similar note when twanged.

My local bike doctor would probably charge about £15 for a quick adjustment like this and he'd do it while you wait and probably teach you how to do it yourself in the future!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If doing it yourself remember quarter or half a turn a time. And tighten one spoke, loosen an ajacent spoke - this stop's the wheel looking like an egg when you finish. Take your time, then take the tension out by placing the wheel on the ground, and pressing hard on each side of the rim (hand each side of the wheel), work round, and flip over - you'll hear a number of pings as the spokes release tension.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Agree with the above.....apart from taking it to a bike shop.
There are some cycle maintenance tasks that you are likely to only need to do once in the blue moon, where the job is likely to be difficult and the cost of the tools likely to offset the advantage of DIY - but truing a wheel doesn't fall into this category.
Wheels are not too difficult to look after for yourself and a spoke key is a very cheap tool to buy and very light to carry when you go cycling. If you cannot cope with basic truing of a wheel, one day you may come unstuck when a spoke goes ping (more likely if you weigh 16 stone) and your wheel goes too out of true for you to continue cycling safely. Buy a good quality spoke key and gently take the slack out of the spokes that are physically slack. Ideally take the wheel off to do this and strip the tyre and rim tape off,as it is possible that as you tighten a spoke it will start to protrude into the rim and puncture your tyre. Then read the fixed posting from Mickle regarding wheel truing. It is not witchcraft. With experience you can get to the stage where you can tell by feel and the sound of "pinging the spokes" whether spokes need adjusting.
Have fun!

bobg

Über Member
Someone told me that the correct tension when "pinged" with a credit card or plectrum is A flat above middle C. :blush: OK if you have a concert pitched instrument hanging around in the garage.... But seriously, it's not far out and a lot cheaper than a spoke tension meter.

Diggs

Veteran
Someone told me that the correct tension when "pinged" with a credit card or plectrum is A flat above middle C. :blush: OK if you have a concert pitched instrument hanging around in the garage...
How do you tell if you have a bass wheel? Is it down to the spoke count?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Someone told me that the correct tension when "pinged" with a credit card or plectrum is A flat above middle C. :blush: OK if you have a concert pitched instrument hanging around in the garage.... But seriously, it's not far out and a lot cheaper than a spoke tension meter.
With thanks to Ppete, about 10 pages back.....http://bikexprt.com/bicycle/tension.htm

It does depend somewhat on spoke diameter (whether they are butted or not) and length, but don't stress over it. Getting them all to an even tone** is more important than the exact note.

** Front wheel spokes should all be even, rear will usually be a higher note on the drive side than the non-drive side.

Top Bottom