spoke tensioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AcademicX

Rob, thanks for the encouragement. I've laced up the rear wheel and got the initial tension & truing sorted out but I've been faffing about with the wheel dish (I hadn't appreciated how much the rim can be moved by a full turn of the spoke key, consequently I over corrected the dish and then had to re-correct). Anyway, the rear wheel just needs to be tensioned up to the final level and I should be good to go.

Oh, and you're right that you get a great feeling of satisfaction once you've built your own wheels........can't wait to get them on the bike and try them out :tongue:

Christopher

Über Member
Great stuff AcademiX! But have you been de-stressing the spokes as you go? Otherwise you may find both wheels go out of true when ridden (esp the back) as the spokes partially unwind.

I read somewhere that the proper spoke tension can be done with a tuning fork: F#. But I can build okay wheels without a tension meter or a tuning fork...

OP
OP
Y

yello

I want to build a wheel. I will... one day, when I next need one. To me, it represents the pinnacle.

AcademicX

Frustruck, the spoke de-stressing did cause me some problems. I had attempted to de-stress the spokes as I tensioned but when I removed the wheel from the truing jig and flexed the rim it became obvious that I hadn't removed all the spoke stress as there were several high toned pings as the stressed spokes readjusted. Back on the truing jig and re-trued, stressed again and all seems well.

It's a nice morning in east Yorkshire so I'm going to take them out for their maiden voyage............

barq

AcademicX said:
I removed the wheel from the truing jig and flexed the rim it became obvious that I hadn't removed all the spoke stress as there were several high toned pings as the stressed spokes readjusted. Back on the truing jig and re-trued, stressed again and all seems well.

I have that even when using the over-tension and then back off method. The important thing is that you've dealt with it before doing a load of riding on under-tensioned spokes. :sad:

It's funny the myths that exist about wheels though. There are a lot of people, some of whom should know better (see last paragraph), who talk about the satisfaction of spokes on a new wheel pinging into place. :biggrin:

Top Bottom