Spoke threading tool advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Looking to buy a spoke threading tool anyone got any advice, most of my stuff is 14 gauge or 13 gauge and ageing from 50s 60s 70 s 80 s to the present day. So my question is do they use a standard thread throughout the ages , new nipples certainly screw on to old spokes ok, I will be using it on old vintage wheels mainly so dont want to buy new if the threads are different from old and would they be the same as an M2 die

Looking to buy a spoke threading tool anyone got any advice, most of my stuff is 14 gauge or 13 gauge and ageing from 50s 60s 70 s 80 s to the present day. So my question is do they use a standard thread throughout the ages , new nipples certainly screw on to old spokes ok, I will be using it on old vintage wheels mainly so dont want to buy new if the threads are different from old and would they be the same as an M2 die

Threads are usually rolled for strength, die cut threads are very weak in tiny sizes.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Yes having learnt more on the subject I see that rolling is the preferred way and I guess can accommodate different spoke diameters.

No. Different diameter spokes (at the thread) need a different diameter thread roller. 14G thread is not the same as a 15G thread, although the spoke key is the same size. Thread roller heads like Cyclo and Hozan can be adjusted to both sizes. I just got 14G and 15G heads, to avoid me misadjusting the thread roller and stripping nipples off the spokes.

13G will need a different head. I don’t know of a head that adjusts between 13G and 14G.

There were a couple of obsolete spoke threads but they are pretty rare now. I wouldn’t bother worrying about them at this stage.

Theoretically modern 14G spokes and nipples are interchangeable but there are manufacturing tolerances and I have occasionally had issues mixing DT and Sapim spokes/ nipples. Generally I prefer to match nipple and spoke manufacturers

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Thanks for the information, interesting to learn something new about the mechanical side of bikes, got lots of wheel projects to do so now seems a good time to learn.

Big John

Guru
We've got one at work. They take an age to get a thread on the spoke properly. There's a skill to it that I definitely don't have. The pressing part of the tool is easily damaged if you're ham fisted like me. We had to buy a replacement head and they're not cheap. It's not a five minute job pressing a thread on.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Thanks for your notes on your experience with this . I will be just using it to tinker with my own bikes and veiw it as a interesting thing to learn about.

Big John

Guru
It's ok for doing the odd spoke or two but if you decided to do a lot, for whatever reason, you could be there for days. I'm sure there must be a video on YouTube. I'm sure if you worked at it (I don't get much time to play with it, to be honest) you'd become proficient but it's not a case of lock the spoke in, turn the handle and hey presto. Good luck. If you get the hang of it maybe you can let me in on the secret 😉

Top Bottom