Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

I am looking to buy a custom made rear MTB wheel for general commute and light XC use.

I have chosen a Shimano XT hub with Mavic XC717 rims. I am given a choice of spokes to select and i cant think why one spoke is better than the next.

What difference would expensive spokes make to a cheaper spoke?

w

simon.r

Person
Weight, aesthetics and strength.

A more expensive spoke is difficult to define mechanically and pricing wise. However, a double-butted spoke cold-forged and built correctly, is a durable spoke. Durability is the absolute key to good spokes. It just so happens to be that double butted is lighter but that's not the main point. Durability is. In a stress-relieved wheel with the appropriate number of spokes, these spokes have an infinite life. We don't care about strength in a spoke since all spokes, including the cheapest rubbish, are strong enough.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I am looking to buy a custom made rear MTB wheel for general commute and light XC use.

I have chosen a Shimano XT hub with Mavic XC717 rims. I am given a choice of spokes to select and i cant think why one spoke is better than the next.

What difference would expensive spokes make to a cheaper spoke?

w

If is a matter of manufacturers then you are pretty safe with DT Swiss or Sapim

If it is a matter of type then double butted is best, sometimes a triple butted is a good option too.

Buy the best spokes you can afford and make a good wheel for the intended purpose.

OP
OP

139NI

Decided to have:
Shimano XT hub
Mavic XC-717 rim
and... DT Competition spokes [as opposed to the DT Revolution spoke, 1.8mm as opposed to 1.5mm which i felt was too thin and would lack strength

£113.95 - not cheap but fairly reasonable for a bespoke rear wheel

....for people who know me, i ride a tank, not a bike...

Last edited:
Top Bottom