Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok I snapped a spoke on my rear wheel, non-drive side. I've decided to be brave and try to repair it myself. What do I need to know? At the moment I know that I have an Open Pro rim with a 36 spoke 105 hub and the spokes are black. It's a racing bike so a 700 wheel. What else am I likely to need to know to be able to buy a spoke?

I know the theory of fitting the spoke. I've loosened the two spokes either side of the broken one to allow the wheel to spin freely and get me home. So I tighten these back up, put new spoke in and tighten until wheel is straight. Any other advice??

Ta

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Follow up question, where can I buy spokes? Can't seem to find them on any of the usual sites (wiggle has some but is out of stock on most sizes, Probikekit just comes up with an empty page)

You need to ascertain the gauge of your spokes (see this ) and then measure the length (from the threaded end to the elbow at the other end.

I would have thought your lbs would be your best bet as on-line retailers mainly deal in bulk.

Try and get a quality spoke key.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
You need to ascertain the gauge of your spokes (see this ) and then measure the length (from the threaded end to the elbow at the other end.

I would have thought your lbs would be your best bet as on-line retailers mainly deal in bulk.

Try and get a quality spoke key.

Thanks. I'm going to try the LBS tomorrow. I'm a bit up against it as I'm on a CC ride in Kent on Sunday.

I think my spoke key is ok, it's kind of like a cup with a hole in the bottom and then lots of different size slots along the rim. To alter tension on the current spokes I use the slot marked "15"

jimboalee

Take the tyre, tube and rim tape off and take the whole wheel to your LBS.

Say to them "Can I have a spoke for this please".

IF they are a decent LBS, they will take the wheel off you, find a replacement spoke, fit it, put the wheel in the truing jig and let you watch the procedure of truing the wheel.

You might have to release a fiver, but you get the job done and a lesson in wheel truing, which will save their time if another spoke in your wheel twangs.

What LBS chappies like doing is building new bikes, not performing simple repairs which the bike's owner could do themselves.

Top Bottom