Sponsored Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fullingdale

I am up for a sponsored trip and looking to aim for something significant ... I've done charity work in the past, but only from an organisational point of view ... never something that is a real physical test for myself.

I haven't been on my bike for possibly 10 years and whilst I would suggest that for a 36yr old, I am in average health, I don't exercise a great deal and realise the need to do some preparation and training if I am to achieve a decent goal.

To begin, I have a mountain bike which I will be dusting off at the weekend and making sure it's roadworthy, from which I will bike to/from work (7 miles total) and head out every weekend to see what I am capable of, in timed stints.

Would be interested in any tips and information that would be useful for this kind of undertaking, bearing in mind that I am considering this will be done in stages, across a number of days.

-- Must have "bike" stuff - maintenance, equipment, bags, etc.,
-- Stuff for me - clothes, camping.,
-- Training regimes - I heard that I should able to comfortably bike 75% of the target distance.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

stephenjubb

Über Member

yello

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you want a recommendation for a charity ride? Any tips will depend on the nature of the event.

General advice; build up the mileage slowly and get used to riding 50km a day.

coopman

After taking a short tour last year (4 days Glasgow to Inverness) decided to do a similiar thing again this year and throw in the charity element. Just myself at the moment doing it, though a couple of folk are joining me for different sections. Decided to test myself and am doing from the most southerly point of scotland to the most notherly point, around 500 miles.

For some of the seasoned tourers on this site I expect they would find that a breeze, but for myself, it will probably be a stretch as I am not used to putting in the miles. I will be 36 myself this year and only really started cycling the miles last year, and have been amazed at how quickly I got fit and lost weight.

Its fairly easy to sort out the charity element, pick a charity, go to their site and find the info, they are more than happy if someone want to raise money for them, you can email them or phone and they are very helpful. Then its just a case of getting a justgiving.com page on the go, some sponsor forms and chasing round as many folk as you can for cash! Nearer the time I will be contacting the local press to drum up a bit more interest and money. I have also got a blog to keep interested parties up to date with my progress.

Many of the bigger charities do organised rides as well, cart all your gear and provide support. Some of these require money up front or minimum sponsorship raised levels.

Training wise, I try and get in at least 3 or 4 10 to 20 mile trips a week then at least 1 long trip of 40 miles minimum. The weather has been a bit poor of late so am combining this with a few trips to the gymn. Fitness level will soon rise. Nearer the cycle i will up the long trips to at least 2 a week when the weather is better, probably around 50 to 60 miles. I reckon this will be enough to bring me to the necessary level of fitness.

In terms of equipment, I am no expert, but you can take a look at my blog, also many of the seasoned tourers who post in this sub section have there own blogs and web sites with a wealth of info on gear they take and tips. The link is usually below the posts. I have spent many an hour delving in to these to work out what to take.

Top Bottom