Sponsorship Query!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

well..........my workplace has offered to help me out this year by giving me some extra time off to train!!! Great!!!

my question is, they obv now want to see their name somewhere about my person. BUT i am already a member of a cycling club.

are they/I allowed to wear their name on my kit and still race??? or is there some kind of rule to stop this? as they are only sponsoring me and not my club, so can the two go together!?

cheers for any info!

Dave5N

Über Member
Sponsors need to be registered with British Cycling. Rule 9.

OP
OP
S

steve23

yea ive read that, but does it apply as they are not actually giving me any money, just extra time off to ride!

Dave5N

Über Member
Yes. You must ride in registered kit, unless it's a 4th cat race. The names of companies on the kit must be registered.

9.6 Riders shall not compete in the name of, wear the colours or advertising material of, nor have their names or cycling performances advertised in any manner whatsoever by any sponsor unless the latter is currently registered with the Federation.

Will1985

Über Member
And it costs. Same goes for CTT on the time trial scene. Not worth it unless there is a whole team. Depending on the race commissaire you may get away with it, but it is not unknown for riders to report you.

I've been looking into seeing if people can ride in CycleChat kit, but it is a bit of a grey area due to having the website on it - there was a discussion on sponsorship on timetriallingforum which will answer even more questions.

May I suggest a tattoo? ;)

OP
OP
S

steve23

haha a tattoo might work!!!

its just obv they want something in return. im trying to think of a way round it. i think TLI are pretty relaxed???

why would riders report me? if i wore the shorts? surley im only breaking rules if i were to wear the shorts with their name on? not just by accepting time off!!??

Dave5N

Über Member
Don't suppose tLI are bothered.

Will, if the club is registered, a website address is fine.

8.1.4 Registered club clothing may carry contact details such as E-mail or Web Site addresses. Where within such an address there is a reference to a commercial enterprise, a separate advertising agreement shall be registered and sponsorship registration fee shall be paid where one does not already exist.

You'd be OK anyway in a 4th cat race.

Top Bottom