Sponsorship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Would John O groats to Lands end be a large enough errand to earn a sponsorship from various companies? Or would a far larger expedition need to be planned in order to gain sponsorship?

Cheers
Montage

maurice

I wouldn't have thought so, unless there was some special reason like you had one leg or something.

My guess is that the deal is that you do something with their name written on you and then they get "free" publicity when the event is reported. That then only works if the event makes the news.
One leg may be a bit of a drastic option.
A lot of errands are fantastic but now too common to be newsworthy so fall down. That said if the company would be happy just to have something that would make the in-house or trade magazine rather than the national news then they may still be in.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
montage said:
Would John O groats to Lands end be a large enough errand to earn a sponsorship from various companies? Or would a far larger expedition need to be planned in order to gain sponsorship?

Cheers
Montage

I read somewhere that around 4000 people do JOGLE or LEJOG. It's not that unique or challenging an errand to get much attention.

Some unique selling point would be needed to attract sponsorship. If you are lucky you might get some products like energy gels/powders and low value bits of kit.

Most people do the ride as a fund raiser for a charity not as a fund raiser for a subsidised holiday :evil:

tourdottk

difficult to say, it also depends on the country you're in. We tried hard to get some sponsors before we left, but hey, all Dutch people cycle, so why should anybody sponsor us, right?
In France however, it is still quite unique to jump on a bike and do long distance (with luggage) and the people we met got (almost) everything sponsored!
So get to France and try it there first :girl:

maurice

True, I got sponsored a couple of apples from a fruit stall and a free breakfast from a hotel when I toured in France!

Not asked for, just laid on :girl:

bonj2

montage said:

Cheers
Montage

depends on what time you were going to do it in.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
maurice said:
True, I got sponsored a couple of apples from a fruit stall and a free breakfast from a hotel when I toured in France!

Not asked for, just laid on :laugh:

During my LEJOG and JOGLE rides

I had the following donations:

A couple of burgers
A dozen or so cans of beer
Several pints of cider
A couple of peaches
Pint of milk
Free pitch at a camp site

Again they weren't asked for but given out of kindness/generosity.

On other tours:

Free wine in France
Free camping in a pub's back garden
Free camping in a pensioners paddock

maurice

Oh yeah some sales guy gave me a peach too!

It's very nice when people give things just out of sheer generosity, and anything food/drink related is especially appreciated :laugh:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
of course I am planning on doing it for charity (Help for heros) but it is a case of affording to do it for charity first :evil:

Top Bottom